PDA

View Full Version : Apistogramma Cacatuoides

zia06
04-21-2008, 11:30 AM
How can we identify the gender of Apistogramma Cacatuoides. Thank you in advance.

fins_n_fur
04-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Typically the male is much larger (in adults) and more colourful than the female.

Take a look at my two: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/showphoto.php?photo=4011&cat=597

RainMan
04-21-2008, 02:29 PM
I was curious what they looked like so I hopped on the Internet and found this info... The source is linked at the end... and includes pics. This is a very cool looking fish.

It's interesting though... Some males can mimick characteristics of the female. They called it a "sneaker male" I didn't have a lot of time to read all of the posts. But, check the source for more info.

MALE
1) Caudal (tail) fin is lyrate in mature specimens.
2) Dorsal (top) fin of males have long membranes, typically from the
2nd to 8th spines.
3) Size is bigger then female

FEMALE
1) Caudal fin is round or just slightly truncate
2) Dorsal fin tips are short
3) When ready/during breeding, female is yellow in colour.
4) Ventral fin is black especially during breeding.
5) Size is smaller then males.

- Source (http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30921)

DCguy
04-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Sneaker males can be a real problem but more with tank raised than wild fish. Unfortunatly, most of the cacatoides available for sale are tank raised. However, it is usually possible to tell them apart if you carefully observe their caudal (slightly lyrate in sneaker males) and the dorsal spines. However, as with all fish, there is a lot of individual variability. In general though, it is easy to tell adult males from females. More info here:

http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Apistogramma_cacatoides.php

DC

LosC
04-21-2008, 05:35 PM
I been wanting one of these fish. Does anyone know a good online fish store that has them regularly and that will ship to Canada quickly?

Incredulous_Ed
04-21-2008, 07:53 PM
I been wanting one of these fish. Does anyone know a good online fish store that has them regularly and that will ship to Canada quickly?
Try www.aquabid.com

or www. twofishguyz.com

angelcakes
04-21-2008, 08:07 PM
hello and welcome to the forum..........:19:

LosC
04-22-2008, 02:02 AM
Try www.aquabid.com

or www. twofishguyz.com

Great links. What should the minimum tank size be for a pair of them?

Incredulous_Ed
04-22-2008, 02:13 AM
I say 15gal, most bredders use empty 10gals, and for a community tank do 20gal.

zia06
04-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Thank you for your replies and clear information. I think I bought 1male 1female of triple red Apisto. Cacadutes. And if I can manage to breed them with my discus I will buy 2 more female next week. If I can manage to take a pics without blurr I will add my pictures. I saw on the same retailer great agassizi. Will agassizi live together with discus and apistos?

Incredulous_Ed
04-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Thank you for your replies and clear information. I think I bought 1male 1female of triple red Apisto. Cacadutes. And if I can manage to breed them with my discus I will buy 2 more female next week. If I can manage to take a pics without blurr I will add my pictures. I saw on the same retailer great agassizi. Will agassizi live together with discus and apistos?
I hink they will do okay together. What size tank is it?

LosC
04-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Zia could you post some pics of them? I will be getting either a pair like yours or an Orange flash pair.

zia06
04-24-2008, 08:23 AM
My aquarium is 210 liters. I have 3 Discus, 2 Apisto Cacatudes and 3 Barbus. After examining my cacatudes I am now thinking they are both male. Now I am going to the fish store to find a female. I think color is the most important issue for sex identification. Female should be less colored or no color. Am I right?

zia06
04-24-2008, 09:03 AM
I am adding a video it is better than the picture quality I have added.

http://www.youtube.com/v/r_i1mWb8jxk

Fishalicious
04-24-2008, 09:13 AM
They are definately 2 males... do they not fight a lot? I reckon if you put 1 female into the equation things might get nasty... if you can add 2-3 females.

Check for a black stripe on the front pelvic fin - then it's a female - and also the spikes on the dorsal fin are more rounded and in the males spikier. Females are a lot smaller and the fins are shorter.

zia06
04-24-2008, 10:06 AM
I was sure though after the information I picked from the site. I will try to find 2 females and give back one male today to the shop where I bought them. Also I saw great bolivian rams (breeding size) in the shop. Could I add 3 (1m2f) to the aquarium. I heard they are peacuful mate for Discus aquarium. I was planning to add agassizi but they are too expensive here in Turkey/Ankara.

Fishalicious
04-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Bolivian Rams are perfect for a discus tank - very peaceful dwarfs and they like the same water parameters.. also the cacatouides and bolivians will not fight which with agassizi might of been the case. If you are bringing back 1 male you can also just take 1 female.

zia06
04-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Ok. Thank you for your help.

zia06
04-25-2008, 07:36 AM
I gave back one of th Apistogramma Cacatudes male and bought three Bolivian Rams instead. Here is my new shots of triple red male Apistogramma Cacatudes arguing with newbie bolivian ram in the tank.

GaboAdv
05-09-2008, 01:40 PM
I purchased a male Apisto Cacatuoides. He's seems to be doing very well so far...about 48hrs into the tank... and he already appears to feel comfortable in there and with all the other fishies, etc etc...
I will post a pic or 2 when I can get a decent shot :P

GaboAdv
05-22-2008, 09:49 PM
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/showphoto.php?photo=5136&cat=504

best try so far.
:brow34: