PDA

View Full Version : Severum Advice

Juannie
11-13-2006, 02:56 AM
I've got a small green severum in a mixed tropical tank. I had no idea how big they get (because the fish shop didn't tell me). It's in a tank with 2 kribensis (& 30 babies), 1 bala shark, 1 white red finned shark, 2 gourami's, corydoras, 3 mollies, a black widow tetra, 3 glow light tetra's, 2 serpae tetra's. They're all in a 4 foot x 1 foot high/wide tank - plenty of swim room. Am i correct to assume the severum would eventually try to eat anything else in the tank ie: tetra's? It's already tried eating the krib babies, though mum & dad keep it away and I've semi-split the tank.

Lady Hobbs
11-13-2006, 04:44 AM
From what I've been reading, Severum can get about 8 inches. I wouldn't think he'd get along too hot with the rest in the tank other than maybe the bala who is fast enough to get away. One person will have a severum and tell you he's a big baby and someone else will come along and say they are mean as heck. Depends on the fish.

Juannie
11-20-2006, 01:07 AM
Thanks for that Hobbs. He's still reasonably small and the only thing he's trying to eat are the Kribensis babies - though the parents fend him off and I've tried to put lots of hiding places for them. He seems to hide a lot when i go near the tank, I'm keeping an eye on him anyway. Do you know what else he can be put with when he gets too big besides the bala?

Lady Hobbs
11-20-2006, 01:12 AM
I think like most cichlids, he should be with cichlids of his own size. They're supposed to get along with blood parrots, as well. Some have had very sweet, docile severums. Others have had a mean one.