PDA

View Full Version : guppy

Belgica
04-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Hi all,
I am new to this and would like some help in explaining how this all works!
Not that computer literate!
I have a 10 gallon tank with some guppies that I bought for my 13 yrs old Downs son. We have 4 guppies, 2 baby mollies, 1 catfish and 3 black neon tetras. Now I think one of the guppies is pregnant as they told me in the store that you can tell that when she has a black spot at the end of her belly! How do I know when to seperate her from the others or how can I see when she is ready to give birth? Also I have lots of algae in the tank and how can I get rid of it? My plants are plastic, and I do use Cycle every week and Aqua plus with every water change? Any suggestions on a good book for a new fish tank owner?
Thanks
Belgica

angelcakes
04-20-2008, 06:42 PM
hello and welcome..............:19:

Darkstar824
04-20-2008, 07:16 PM
I think if you see the black spot on the guppy means she will give birth soon. i would put the gupp in a small breeder tank if you have one or if not a small fry breeder net to go in the tank will work fine. just so you know the tetras and the mama guppy may eat the fry so you;ll want to provide hiding places for them like floating plants if you are unable to get the breeder net. Good luck and welcome!

Tigerbarb
04-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Welcome to AC! You've come to the right place if you love fish! :D

MandyL
04-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Welcome to AC! How long has your tank been set up with the fish in it? The Cycle product is not needed if the nitrogen cycle is complete.

As for the algae, try cutting down on the time the light is on and see if that helps. You can scrub it off any surfaces. Or, you can buy a couple Oto catfish or some shrimp and they will eat it.

pinsonpa
04-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Welcome to the AC Belgica!

Looks like you already have some good advice going in this thread, but for future reference you'll get more replies/suggestions if you post specific questions in the right place. No worries...this isn't a slap on the wrist or anything like that:hmm3grin2orange: I just wanted you to know (since you are new to the AC) that you'll get more answers for whatever questions come up in the future if you post them as new threads in the most relevant forum or sub-forum.

For your current question you might post in the Begginer's Freshwater section.

Good luck and wlecome...you're gonna love it here!:19:

pinsonpa
04-20-2008, 09:40 PM
You could also try posting your current question in the Breeders sub-form which is in the "Other Aquarium Related" section.

sandy_n
04-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Hello and welcome Belgica. If you look to the left of the page under menu you'll see our free aquarium ebook that you can download and read. It will help you. Good luck! :c3:

Slippery Weasel
04-20-2008, 10:58 PM
Welcome to the party! :19:

Nick_Pavlovski
04-21-2008, 03:47 AM
G'day and welcome!
Do you have the tank where it gets some sunshine? If so, you need to move it away - sunlight is a main cause for algae, as is too much light in general.

Tanks don't have to get any real sunlight - some fish like morning sun for breeding, but you can find out about that in other parts of this forum.

Wild Turkey
04-21-2008, 08:03 AM
Welcome to AC!:19:

smcurry83
04-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Welcome to the forum.....

kitten3326
04-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Welcome to AC, I hope you enjoy our little community where everyone is friendly and always willing to help:19:

Kayla-Bug
04-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Welcome to the wonderful AC!

jbeining75
04-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Welcome to AC!!!!!!!