PDA

View Full Version : Do fish have seizures?

Glasstapper
11-13-2006, 12:04 AM
I was looking over at one of my dwarf gouramis today, and I saw he had a huge gash (no scales) on his head and his lip was swollen (again). I thought maybe it was from fighting with the other dwarf because these guys tend to play pretty rough.

However, just now I saw the injured guy do a sever body shake and he was running head first into the glass. :O It was almost like his body was vibrating. He's cool now and sitting in his house.

So what the heck was that all about? The other dwarf wasn't anywhere near him.

(ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10, temp 80F)

kimmers318
11-13-2006, 03:24 AM
That is one of the strangest things I have heard yet. I have seen fish do the shimmy shake thing but not run headfirst into the wall! Is it possible that due to reflection or what have you he didn't realize the tank stopped there and maybe at a certain time of the day the natural light in the room makes it appear he can swim farther?

Glasstapper
11-13-2006, 04:17 AM
I don't know. Nothing has changed the entire time he's been in there. The tank isn't near a window, and I never open the shutters anyway. (I live in a desert - it helps keep the dust down).

He did the shaking/shivering thing again twice since I started this thread. It's kind of scary, actually. It's not like the body shake they do when they're in a face-off. It's really really fast. What would be some reasons a fish would do that if there's no other fish around at the time?

(He also stays hidden a lot.)

I'm going to go sit and watch him for a while to look for some clues or triggers. I'm truly stumped.

kimmers318
11-13-2006, 12:56 PM
Since I haven't had much experience with disease (knock on wood) I have no clue what may be causing the shimmying. Hopefully someone will come along that has seen something like this before. If it is a medical issue, it sounds most likely like it will be neurological and I'm not thinking that is good in a fish.

Glasstapper
11-13-2006, 04:45 PM
well, I was kind of searching around, and it seems the symptoms he's showing could possible be a bacterial infection or maybe a parasite in his sinus? I guess it makes sense since the guy I had to put down had an infected ulcer. I'll do some more research on it today, and maybe go pick up a broad spectrum antiobiotic this afternoon. I'll probably just treat the whole tank in case it's a worm or something. I don't know.

I don't want to have to put down another fish. I don't think I can handle two in one week.