PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Sword

Tolley
04-20-2008, 01:02 AM
ok whats up with my amazon swords. So i buy 2 like a fair few months ago. over time they've just been dying, growing new leaves and dying over and over. By the way, i'm not really looking to grow these i just have them.
So yeah after all the adult leaves had died off they kept growing their little leaves which didnt even get big before they died. Now one of them has started actually growing in the last month. they other is still dead but this one is growing. Looks pretty neat too. So anyone know why is this? I have changed nothing. I have 0.5wpg no ferts co2 or anyfin. Are these tough plants that usually come around?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-20-2008, 01:07 AM
Those conditions are not good enough for even Amazon Swords. They don't need a ton of light but if you are going to give them that little light it is important that it be in a spectrum that they can use. If you can only keep them at 0.5wpg then you really should go for a light that has plenty of light in the red spectrum.

Tolley
04-20-2008, 01:13 AM
I hear what your saying, but why arent they completely dying off and why has one suddenly done better than before.

Lady Hobbs
04-20-2008, 01:20 AM
I have always had problems with swords. Always had algae I was fighting. Last week I moved them into my 20 gallon that has better lights and the lights are closer to the plants. They are doing much better and not a bit of algae on them.

I do know they need iron tablets at the roots and can't be planted too deeply but GB is right on with the lights. I can see the difference already.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-20-2008, 01:22 AM
One is probably doing better now because the other is not using any nutrients so there are more available for it.

Tolley
04-20-2008, 01:25 AM
oh that makes sense. thanks!