PDA

View Full Version : Breeding or (s)not

Lady Hobbs
04-19-2008, 06:15 PM
My one pair of firemouths have 3/4 of the tank now. My 5 loaches, 3 other firemouths and my 9 Silver Dollars are jammed up in one corner. I have looked and looked for a spawning site and see none. Trying to see eggs in sand is no easy feat. I know, I've scoured my tank with my magnifying glass, looked in their cave, searched the rocks........nuttin' honey.

:18:

When I set the new tank up for them, they will have fine, black gravel!

jbeining75
04-19-2008, 06:19 PM
They are probably still in spawning mode and don't know that the eggs are gone yet. Firemouths are smart though. they may have hide them on the underside of a rock or something. I think though they just don't realize yet that the eggs are gone. They may need seperated if they stay paired lol.... Little fish alot of aggression...

Fishalicious
04-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Yeah I was thinking the same... they probably think 'hey that chasing the other fish was mighty fun :19: Let's keep it up' LOL Or they are getting ready to spawn again and are making sure noone comes near.

Lady Hobbs
04-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Why would the eggs be gone unless they were eaten but gez, no one can come out of their corners. :)

jbeining75
04-19-2008, 06:25 PM
They were probably eaten but the firemouths don't understand fully yet. They will keep those fish cornered until either one doesn't want to spawn and he or she will break the group and regroup with the main group allowing the tank to cruise again. They may be going through another spawning stage though too....

When I bought those paired Texas Cichld they stayed breeding colors for almost two weeks and started to control the GT a little. He is bigger so that didn't last long...

Lady Hobbs
04-20-2008, 02:16 AM
They sure don't act like my other spawning pair. They spawned so quietly I didn't even know it until I saw those eggs.