PDA

View Full Version : Disinfecting Tank- for snails- from snails

wbzorker
04-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Hi,
Apple snails are my primary critters and my first and lasting tank love :-) Going a little bit overboard has got me into a bit of a problem.

A few years ago, I bought several pest pond snails on purpose (smack myself upside the head). I hadn't seen them before and thought they might be cute with my baby mystery snails. They were, but you can guess the problem. Well, I've been fighting them ever since, in three tanks. One, I came out on top, after using ich medicine for the fish. It eliminated the pond snails too, which was an incredible relief. The second tank I designated as an algae cleaner tank. Threw in some cherry shrimp and let the pond snails help to clean decorations from other tanks. Now I'm tearing down the third tank (to move it) and have decided to take a stand, and forever be rid of the little buggers in both the tanks that have them.

What I would like to do is eliminate the pond snails but then be able to re-use the gravel, decorations (standard Petsmart fare), and tanks for mystery snails and shrimp in the future. I really don't want to use ich meds because of the dye, and I'm a bit concerned that no matter how much I rinse, the med will effect future occupants.

I read in Freshwater and Marine Aquarium, 1/2 cup bleach water diluted with 3 cups tap water, would disinfect gravel if it has ich. Would this same solution eliminate pond snails and their eggs?

If so, would it bleach my decorations too or be absorbed by the plastic?

And finally, would a salt solution work and rinse clean?

Or pouring pure alcohol in the tank and soaking everything?

Thanks a bunch for your help,

Lady Hobbs
04-19-2008, 04:23 PM
I had so many snails I ended up removing all the decoration and plants and just dumped bleach in the water. They dropped like flies. It almost meant a whole new recycling process.

angelcakes
04-19-2008, 04:26 PM
I had so many snails I ended up removing all the decoration and plants and just dumped bleach in the water. They dropped like flies. It almost meant a whole new recycling process.
ouch.................