PDA

View Full Version : angel trying to eat, not able to?

angelfish11
04-19-2008, 01:37 AM
Hi,
My dime sized marbled angelfish hasn't been eating. he will go to the top woth the other fish, grab a flake, then spit it out. my other black angel that i got at the same place and time ha grow to almost quarter size and is fat. the marbled one swins fine and acts normal, even his colors are good. but, he looks anerexick (or howeveru spell it) and his feces are clear/whit an stringy. levels in tank are: ammonia 0. nitrite 0. nitrate 8. ph 6.8. he doesn't seem to be bullied. should i qt in a 10 gallon? tankmates are the black angel, 4 zebra danios, 2 bolivian rams, 2 siamese algae eaters, and one cory.
PLEASE HELP!?!

Lady Hobbs
04-19-2008, 01:43 AM
He has internal worms as indicted by the white, springy poo. Get some anti-parasite food for him. Also, angels always spit there food like that as well as other cichlids.

angelfish11
04-19-2008, 01:48 AM
but why does that stop him from eating?

Lady Hobbs
04-19-2008, 01:52 AM
Worms make them sick. Get rid of the worms and he'll feel good again.

angelfish11
04-19-2008, 01:53 AM
an medication recomendations? also, should i QT? thanx for ur help.

Lady Hobbs
04-19-2008, 02:01 AM
There are several meds for internal worms. LifeGuard is one of them that is for a lot of things and there is also a parasitic food. I've never had a fish with worms so hopefully others here will help give some good hints.

Has he been eating a lot of meat products?

angelfish11
04-19-2008, 02:08 AM
yes i tried feeding him fozen brine shrimp about an hor ago and he grabbed it kept in is mouth for a minute (looked like he was trying to swallow or something) then spit it out. i give them the brine shrimp once or twice a week. its made by hikari, and the package says its parasite and bacteria free.

Lady Hobbs
04-19-2008, 02:18 AM
Try to soak some flakes in garlic juice for him. Garlic fish food will keep them from having worms to began with.

I just got this off the net:

Internal Parasites:
Internal Parasites are any type of parasite that infects the inside of the fish. Symptoms of internal parasites include thin, emaciated bodies, white stringy feces, and in the later stages the fish will stop eating. There are many medications that you add to the water and they claim to work, but this is not true. Its a matter of common sense, how would adding chemicals to the water effect the inside of the fish? So look for medications that are supposed to be injested. Some medications are sold as food, some are liquids or gels that you add to the food. Be sure to follow the directions very carefully.

angelfish11
04-19-2008, 02:20 AM
Thanx a bunch!!! ill try it tomorrow morning.

Lady Hobbs
04-19-2008, 02:25 AM
Good luck. Don't be worried about the other fish getting it, either. Garlic is good for them and your others may have worms now, as well. Just hope the little guy will eat some.

smaug
04-19-2008, 03:17 AM
Lady is probably righ on.One of the many foods I feed is hikari micro pellets,there salt grain sized grains make it super easy for little fish to eat and all my fish love it even my big ones.My angels also spits once in a while,its a bad habit angels have.Good luck with your fish and get rid of there worms.

siymdapolio
04-19-2008, 05:09 AM
Good luck with that... I just saw my angels poop today and it was whitish... I am very paranoid now about him having worms but seems to be eating tons and things...

yup my angels spit it out if they cant swallow it lol but they definetely get it down

angelfish11
04-19-2008, 01:50 PM
my angels normally do spit their food out every once in a while, but it always looks chewed. now, when this guy does it, it looks EXACTLY like when it went in. thanx for the help.

angelfish11
04-19-2008, 01:53 PM
oh and to siymdapolio, it might just be he hasnt gotten enough nutrition, maybe he is the smallest and gets last pick at food?

Lady Hobbs
04-19-2008, 02:08 PM
He may also be a male which are smaller. But if he's got worms, that will slow down his growth considerably and eventually kill him.

mitcore
04-19-2008, 11:05 PM
i have to agree with hobbs on this one
i am hoping he will start to eat soon, good luck and very sorry to read this

plow
04-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Well one of my angles had exactly the same symptoms, he was perfectly healthy it seemed but after a while I noticed he did exactly what you are describing..

no food got down in to his tummy over a period of a month or so. I watched him intensely while his mate beside him scoffed down everything in sight. It almost seemd like eating was painful so he didn't dare do it.

during this time I had my two angels, one grew rapidly fat and big and the sick one just got very skinny and sadly died the other day.

the problem was, he wasn't eating. So how can you treat them for internal parasites using simple methods? I did a worm treatment a while back using "waterlife sterazin, gill and body flukes treats internal worms".. clearly this didn't help.

Internal parasites are a real pain, I have done a treatment in my mbuna tank using "Sera baktopur tablets", it makes the water turn yellow, this apparently helps.. two of my mbunas were showing signs of parasites (early stages of malawi bloat) with white stringy poo and not eating at all (thats the giveaway, not eating), within days after treatment they were healthy, eating and are still charging today.

However, these are a mission to use.... They destroy your nitrifying bacteria, so you either have to remove your fish to a quarantine tank (which was impossible for me to do with 16 mbunas and a hundred hiding places) or treat your tank and remove your filter and keep it 'alive' in a quarantine tank feeding it daily with ammonia. I used a bucket for this with a heater etc... You also need to keep an eye on your ammonia levels in your tank which means daily water changes and redosing to keep medication levels up.

It took three days, and was stressful as I love my mbunas and did not want to lose any of them, so was constantly testing and changing water..

It did however work, which was the main thing.

As for the angels, well, I dont know, I think they are so fickle these days, I've lost interest in them cos they are always the first fish to roll over and die the minute someone farts.

If I can help you out more I will, I dont envy your situation, its not cool.. angles are just so brittle.

good luck.

angelfish11
04-21-2008, 10:58 PM
i just put him in QT. he isnt doing very good. i was feeding the medicated food, but my other fish would eat it b4 he got a chance. he is my favorite angel ive ever gotten and dont want to lose him. the good news: he seems to be trying to live. whenever he starts to lose control of himself, he quick steadies himself. i put some of the medicine in his tank and hope that when he breathes, some of the medicine will come int his mouth.

plow
04-22-2008, 07:01 PM
it doesn't sound great... let us know how it goes.

Somehow someone must come upon a simple method of treating angles for parasites...

fins_n_fur
04-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Have you tried soaking his pellets/food in finely minced garlic or Seachem's Garlic Guard? Garlic acts as an appetitie stimulant and is great at ridding internal parasites and is natural. All of my fish get food soaked in garlic guard as preventative medicine and for health. My angels also had the stringy poo thing (never had a lost of appetite, my stoop to scavenging the bottom they are such pigs :hmm3grin2orange: ) and don't have it since. It's worth a shot to save him/her!

angelfish11
04-23-2008, 07:46 PM
I am sorry to say...
when i went to check on him this morning, i found him to be on his side dead. and to make things worse, i dont see any silver lining to the cloud. i feel like i let him down. thanx for the help anyways...

mitcore
04-23-2008, 09:41 PM
so sorry for you loss

plow
04-24-2008, 05:20 PM
yeah sorry for the loss...

same thing has happened to me a few times now. Stop eating, get skinny and roll over. I have no idea what its all about. Only my angels seem to have this problem, I am wondering if they cant adjust to pH aswell as we think they can, and then become susceptible to parasites. The amazon is afterall an acidic body of water and most town water supplies are not...

angles are beautiful, but also very fickle.