PDA

View Full Version : How to blanch veg's

KINGMED
04-18-2008, 02:55 PM
I am getting some veg's to blanch for my fish this week so I was wondering the proper way you all do it. I want to do it in boiling water on stove instead of using the microwave. I figure I'll pick some cucumber up and what ever else they may eat. It will be mainly for clown loaches and whatever will eat it, I have 1 betta and gourami in the tank, any suggestions.

Mvjnz
04-18-2008, 02:57 PM
I usually put it in the freezer for a few minutes, does the same thing. If you wanna use the stove you just boil it for a couple minutes. Cucumber doesn't need to be blanched tho, I only do that with lettuce and spinach. I also feed mine peas, either canned or cooked, and just remove the skin.

dgoulston
04-18-2008, 02:59 PM
do you just cut a chunk of cucumber off and chuck it in? skin on and all???

doug z
04-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Yup, skin and all..

Nothing HUGE, mind..

Portion according to how many fish are going to be eating..

You should weight it down by impaling it with a small fork..

BillyVille
04-19-2008, 12:47 AM
Nice question, I was wondering the same thing!

NickFish
04-19-2008, 01:46 AM
Yep, I just boil it!

Cucumbers should be boiled a little, because it softens it up for the bottom dwellers to eat, but if you have fish with strong teeth it isn't essential, however it is recommended.

Lady Hobbs
04-19-2008, 01:50 AM
I put a couple slices in a sauce dish, a tad of water and nuke it for 2 minutes.

Mvjnz
04-19-2008, 02:19 AM
I've been giving my loaches cucumber without blanching it, they don't seem to have a prob with it. In any case, it would only take them longer to eat it, which would keep them entertained for longer:)

LosC
04-19-2008, 06:45 AM
My Pleco never eats the cucumber or zucchini I put in :smad:

Nick_Pavlovski
04-19-2008, 12:41 PM
I anchor my blanched veggies using bamboo satay sticks.

gm72
04-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Good idea there, Nick.

jbeining75
04-19-2008, 01:34 PM
My Pleco never eats the cucumber or zucchini I put in :smad:

He probably already has a taste for fish food like pellets or wafers. Plecos are finicky once they taste real food.

Just cut some chunks up and toss them into boiling water for 3 or 4 minutes and they should be fine. The microwave is faster and does the same thing. Just make sure they are in water so it doesn't cook the cucumber.

Nick_Pavlovski
04-20-2008, 08:40 AM
Good idea there, Nick.

Oddly enough, after spearing the veggie chunk onto the skewer and then arranging it on the tank, I notice one of the Oto's likes to suck on the skewer before moving onto the actual veggie, even though he knows the veggie is there. Maybe he's enjoying a veggie-flavoured popsicle before having his main course???