PDA

View Full Version : White fuzz?

esheesle
11-11-2006, 11:52 PM
I just setup a 10 gallon aquarium(previously had a 45 but way too much to take care of). It just cycled(ammonia and nitrites at 0) and I have a couple fish(twig fish and a couple tetras). Now I'm seeing some white spots that look somewhat like water spots and some of it is looking like small strands of white hair on the walls of the aquarium. Ideas what this could be?

Thanks,
Eric

Lady Hobbs
11-12-2006, 02:36 AM
You have got to be the first person I know who has gone to a smaller tank from a larger. You will find that little 10 gallon is a lot harder to care for than the larger one. Everything is so concentrated in the small tanks that they get dirty even faster than the larger tanks.

Anyway, I believe you have what sounds like Hair Algae. I have never had an algae problem so not sure of how to cure it to be honest and others here can maybe help you out with that.

I found this on the net, however:

Hair Algae
Hair algae is light green in color. It grows in strings and can attach to almost every surface. While its growth rate varies, it is mostly very rapid.

This algae usually returns within hours after manually removing it from the aquarium. One benefit of hair algae is that it is a good food source for plant eating fish. Its rapid growth rate however make it extremely difficult to control. As a result, plant and fish life are threatened by its negative impact.

Hair algae thrives on nitrates in excess of 10 ppm.

If it thrives in high nitrates, I have to wonder how high are your nitrates? A water change will help bring that number down if it's too high and a good gravel vacuuming. I don't know how long this tank has been set up, either, and you don't want to start a recycle again.

A catfish could help you out with this problem but your tank is too small for one.

I hope someone comes along with the proper answer for you.

esheesle
11-12-2006, 03:56 AM
If it is algae I'm not quite as concerned as my twig fish(type of catfish) eats algae. My reason for worry is that it isn't green at all, but very, very white. I have a few plants in the tank as well that should use up excess nitrates if it is algae. The tank actually was setup about a month ago and the I'm planning on the first water change next weekend because it just cycled completely as of two days ago.

As for the down sizing, a 45 gallon hex tank can be very tedious to clean and change water on. My plan is to keep the one big twig fish(as they aren't super heavy on ammonia output and don't need quite as much personal space), a couple small tetras, and a couple of small kuhli loaches as they stay small as well. The idea being that the filtration will be more than capable of handling the needs of the fish and far less cleaning overall.

Lady Hobbs
11-12-2006, 05:40 AM
Sounds like a plan to me. As stated earlier, I really am not familiar with algae much but it sure sounds like it to me.

jeffs99dime
11-12-2006, 07:15 AM
if it is thread algae, there are certain cats. that eat it. i'm not sure which one's though.
here's a link with pics and info.- http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/algae.htm

Lady Hobbs
11-12-2006, 02:29 PM
Excellent link Jeff. Been looking for such a good link. Thanks for posting. She does need a very small catfish. The tank is only 10 gallon.

jeffs99dime
11-12-2006, 02:32 PM
definitely don't want a pleco huh? lol those monsters!

esheesle
11-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the info. My concern was that it was something bad for the tank. I actually want some algae to feed my twig fish(link to his type below):
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_farlo.php

Thanks,
Eric