PDA

View Full Version : Good lighting tip for prevention of waterborn algae in new tank set-ups..

doug z
04-17-2008, 10:28 PM
I was concerned that I might have too MUCH lighting for my tank, with my 2 110w T-5 fixtures, and that I might be exceeding the light requirements of the plants to the point where I was just asking for green water and other pesky algae problems..

So I did some digging online, and in my books, and found some good tips to help prevent this from happening in a NEW tank:

Lighting with 2 fixtures:

Fixture 1 on for 8 continuous hours
Fixture 2 turning on for 4 hours in the middle of that time frame.

only use the full wattage for a few hours a day and don't go over 8 hours of total lighting for the first few months or so until the biofilter and plant mass can take care of any organics in the water column

Drumachine09
04-17-2008, 10:39 PM
If you are worried about diatoms, just get a diatomic filter. They aren't too horbily expensive....I think....

doug z
04-17-2008, 10:47 PM
I just want not to have to get into UV eradication, etc..

Especially with a new tank..

I like the idea of limiting the "bursts" of full-on lighting as a preventative measure....

smaug
04-17-2008, 11:05 PM
you can get the diatom algae in a new tank with or without high light.Its very common and damn near unavoidable.It normally goes away as the water becomes aged and the tank becomes totally cycled and normalized.

doug z
04-17-2008, 11:39 PM
you can get the diatom algae in a new tank with or without high light

If you're overfeeding or something, yeah..

But it's hardly unavoidable.. :)

xoolooxunny
04-17-2008, 11:52 PM
doug, I have a piece of information that is often unknown or overlooked for high light/green water problems. You could be doing everything right, and still get it. Why? the lighting spectrum of the bulbs. What's your blue output on the spectrum? If its high, I would suggest swapping half out (in your case 1 bulb) with a bulb that has almost no blue output. High blue light can cause, and has caused uncontrollable green water.

check those bulbs!:thumb:

doug z
04-17-2008, 11:59 PM
What's your blue output on the spectrum?

Zero to none, I would think..

One bulb is white (10K), the other is pink (6700-7000K)..

PUNISHER VETTE
04-18-2008, 12:09 AM
Thats exactly what i've been doing. I have my regular 260w on 12hours timer.

But i got those 60w T5 grow lights that i've been turning on when i wake up and off a few hours before the regular lights go off.

I was having all the lights on for 12 hours but i quickly grew some brown algae. I stopped the grow lights for a few days and it settled down.

Only problem is i forgot one night to turn the ones not on the timer off so when i woke up they were still on... I've got another timer i just need to plug it in for those.

xoolooxunny
04-18-2008, 12:11 AM
10000k puts out a lot of blue, the 6700k is fine. I think you will be alright, but, now you know if you have a crazy GW problem and nothing seems to help, keep this info in the back of your mind. One day, just maybe, it might come in handy.

smaug
04-18-2008, 12:19 AM
If you're overfeeding or something, yeah..

But it's hardly unavoidable.. :)
No really,in a new tank its quite common,overfeeding or something not withstanding

doug z
04-18-2008, 01:29 AM
10000k puts out a lot of blue

Does it?

Well, it is what they use for corals, i guess..

I'll for sure keep it in mind, thanks!

No really,in a new tank its quite common,overfeeding or something not withstanding

One way to find out, I guess.. :)

Nautilus291
04-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Well I thought I was creating a new thread but Instead somehow I asked a new question on dougs thread!! HA I guess thats what I get for going and getting a piece of cake.

doug z
04-19-2008, 08:37 PM
You know you can delete your posts within 15 minutes, right? LOL

Nautilus291
04-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Ahh I forgot about that, I wouldnt have had to make myself look stupid lol.