PDA

View Full Version : Convict Question

kufan
11-10-2006, 09:11 PM
I have a male convict, I believe. It has a long top fin on the end, and of the pictures I have seen, the males have the longer top fom them. My question is, I'm looking at getting a female to breed, what would be the best way to introduce them so that the male doesn't hurt her? I had this problem with a pair gourami's a while back, and so I'm wanting to get some opinions before I go out and get a female.

Thanks.

Fishguy2727
11-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Get a good sized definite female that is no bigger than the male. They may argue a little at first, but he should be glad to have her in his world.

SCOOTER
11-14-2006, 01:48 AM
You also might want to rearrange the tank setup so there are no established territories. Females most of the time will have a orange blotch on their lower sides. Hope that helps

NorthernBoy
11-14-2006, 05:17 AM
I would also buy a few tanks as convicts are very good breeders.

kufan
12-17-2006, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the info, I got a new female, and they are getting along wonderfully.

KU

Severus
12-18-2006, 03:50 AM
I would also buy a few tanks as convicts are very good breeders.

Definitely. Pretty soon you have tons of convict fry

Juannie
12-21-2006, 05:27 AM
Be prepared to have lots and lots and lots of babies and make sure if they're breeding they're in a tank by themselves. Once they start they often kill of other fish, even other convicts. I had a breeding pair once and they were beautiful parents but absolutely deadly to any other fish in the tank.
Good Luck - they are gorgeous.

jeffs99dime
12-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Be prepared to have lots and lots and lots of babies and make sure if they're breeding they're in a tank by themselves. Once they start they often kill of other fish, even other convicts. I had a breeding pair once and they were beautiful parents but absolutely deadly to any other fish in the tank.
Good Luck - they are gorgeous.

i still want your kribensis! lol

Juannie
12-24-2006, 10:05 AM
Hey jeffs,
If I could post them too you safely I most certainly would.

GOOD LUCK FINDING SOME

typically
01-16-2007, 09:22 PM
i have a pair of convicts well 2 convicts they aren't a pair. they've been in the tank with each other for probably 2 months and they haven't paired up. from all the stuff i've seen on the web i figured they'd have babies in the bag on the way home =] anyone know if fish just don't pair up sometimes? also the female is a little bigger than the male. he chases her around all the time though chases her up to the top corner of the tank. thanks =]

themikeyman
01-17-2007, 01:04 AM
Well actually yeah.. that may be the problem.. i dont know about other peoples experiences with them with my convicts the female doesn't usually want to breed with a male smaller than her. I've found that its actually better when the female is smaller.

kufan
01-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Ok, I've had my male and female approximately a month and a half and they both sit on opposite ends of the tank, 20 gallon long. They don't show any aggression towards each other, and don't seem to be intersted in each other. Is there any suggestions for helping out with this. I re-arranged the tank decorations when I put the female in, should I maybe re-arrange them again?

KU

Fishguy2727
01-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Try adding another one. More options may be the key. Or maybe a threat to the male's dominance may trigger it. Just be ready to separate and give away one if necessary.

What are your water parameters? (pH, hardness, nitrates, temp, etc.)

kufan
01-18-2007, 04:50 AM
My water pH is 7.5 (naturally hard water around here), nitrates/nitrites are 0.05 ppm, and ammonia levels is 0.25 ppm and temp is 74.

Also by add another one, do you mean another male or another female?

KU

Fishguy2727
01-18-2007, 05:19 AM
I was thinking about that and I'm not sure which will help more, both have their pros. The male could elicit a territory response in the native male, but a female could allow for more options for the male in there. Temp should be more like 80-82, and there should not be any ammonia or nitrites in an established tank.

kufan
01-18-2007, 09:18 PM
That was my thoughts on the nitrites and ammonia. I did a 25% water change last friday, so I'm wondering if I need to do more and see if that helps any.

KU

Fishguy2727
01-18-2007, 10:53 PM
You said nitrite/nitrate, which one was that reading for?

kufan
01-18-2007, 11:46 PM
It was nitrites...I miss typed the first message.

KU

Fishguy2727
01-19-2007, 12:50 AM
Based on the units that's what I guessed. What are your nitrates?

kufan
01-19-2007, 02:03 AM
I don't have a test for the nitrates. I've just got the basic 3, ph, ammonia, and nitrites. Should I go pick up a better kit?

KU

Fishguy2727
01-19-2007, 03:22 AM
For long term use the main two are pH and nitrates, ammonia and nitrites are mainly just for in the beginning when the tank is cycling, ideally you don't have to worry about them after that. So yes I would get a nice liquid test kit for nitrates.

kufan
01-19-2007, 04:19 AM
Alrighty, I'll do some checkin around my lfs this weekend and see if I can find on that will work. Do you know if they just sell the nitrate test by itself?

KU

jeffs99dime
01-19-2007, 05:01 AM
Alrighty, I'll do some checkin around my lfs this weekend and see if I can find on that will work. Do you know if they just sell the nitrate test by itself?

KU

yes. i know for sure api sells individual test kits for: ph, ammonia, nitrite,nitrate, hardness (gh/kh), calcium, phosphate, copper etc.

kufan
01-19-2007, 05:20 AM
Awesome, hopefully my lfs will have them, because I really don't feel like buying another whole kit. Are there any others you would recommend picking?

KU

grant jackson
01-29-2007, 09:14 PM
hello there i got a pair of convicts had them for a while now males big and female half his size he has now a domainent helmet or lump on his forhead,my female was pale at first with slight orange on her sides but when introduced she changed bright almost rianbow colours before spawning then after 2weeks and i had thousands of spawn wich have now been in the tank about 4weeks now.:22: how long should i keep them in with the parents?

jeffs99dime
01-30-2007, 01:17 AM
hello there i got a pair of convicts had them for a while now males big and female half his size he has now a domainent helmet or lump on his forhead,my female was pale at first with slight orange on her sides but when introduced she changed bright almost rianbow colours before spawning then after 2weeks and i had thousands of spawn wich have now been in the tank about 4weeks now.:22: how long should i keep them in with the parents?

welcome to a.c. grant jackson!

kufan
02-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Well finally after almost 2 months, I have fry. I just got back from class and was feeding my fish and noticed the fry in a corner. My male convict, who is usually very dull colored and you can rarely see his stripes, is absolutely beautiful right now. His stripes are very defined. I'll try and get some pics soon and show them off.

KU

reddevil6
03-17-2007, 06:33 AM
get a female with a nice brite pink belly just to make sure

sushant
03-17-2007, 06:49 AM
provide it with lots of hiding place .introduction of more than one female will help in reducing the aggression.