PDA

View Full Version : My Angels WHY WHY WHY?

freshwaterfishlover
11-10-2006, 05:39 PM
I have a 10 gallon with 4 Angels. About a month and half ago I put 4 angels in the tank( no other fish in the tank). After about a month one died. A week ago I bought a replacement. After a week, this morrning I get up and one is dead and onther about to die. Today I bought 2 more to make it 4 again.

My Amonia is 0, PH 7.5 and Nitrate is Perfect.

Why are they continuing to die?

kimmers318
11-10-2006, 06:05 PM
Maybe because that tank is WAY too small for 4 angels and that will cause them to stress easily....I have seen recommendations of 15 gal minimum for a pair to 30 gallons for 1. I haven't kept angels, but am well aware that they need tall tanks and plenty of space, not only for their own happiness, but to keep them from fighting with each other over territories. I am glad to see that you are checking your water parameters, but please also give us readings for NITRITES and a reading for NITRATES other than "perfect". I believe angelfish are more delicate than some other hardy fish, someone please correct me if I am wrong, so it may just simply be a case of them not being in optimal health in an aquarium that is too small and leading to stress and death. Please consider a larger tank for them.

freshwaterfishlover
11-10-2006, 08:45 PM
All my test kits are drops. The reason why I always say my Nitrate is "perfect" is because, I lost the color card and do not have the exact number or what ever nitrate is measured or scaled by. I know light Blue is "Perfect" and Purple is "Very Bad". The Nitrate is light Blue, so I call it perfect.

I do not have huge or even big Angelfish. I have the $4.99 each Angels not the $8.99 or even the $16.99 Angels.

Also you said Angels are territorial, well I have never seen my Angels Fight. They are always swimming by themselves, almost as if they do not care about the other fish in the tank.

Fishguy2727
11-10-2006, 08:58 PM
I would not do angels in less than a 29. Breeders may put pairs in a , but these are people that are doing many water change a week so this shouldnot be a basis for general keepers. Just because they are smaller for ow does ot mean they don't need a bigger tank. They are territorial, butmainly as they get a little bigger, and it is mainly ones that have paired off. Angels are much hardier than they used to be, but that does not warrant lower quality care. Is the tank cycled? What filtration do you have? What is your water change schedule? What are you feeding?

kufan
11-10-2006, 09:19 PM
As kimmers said, Angel fish need there space. A ten gallon tank is to small for 4. A ten gallon is almost too small for 1, even the small $4.99 ones. Angel fish are a member of the cichlid family, and the members of the cichlid family are very territorial.

You do have the right idea though in keeping the angel fish in a group of 4, but you need a bigger tank for them

Here is a link to some more information about angel fish. This is the website I use when I'm thinking about getting a new fish, as they have some good information on them.

http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/cichlids_neotropical/angels_assorted.htm

KU

freshwaterfishlover
11-10-2006, 09:26 PM
1) Yes the tank was cycled 2-3 months ago.
2)I have a 10 gallon Whisper Bio Bag Filter.
3) I use a 50 Watt Heater.
4) I change the water ones a week or every other week.
5) I feed the Angels Brine Shrimp Flakes once every other day.

Fishguy2727
11-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Filtration should be rated for at least twice the tank capacity. Water changes should be weekly and 50-75%. Food should be varied and I would include: TetraMin Pro Crisps, Hikari Cichlid Gold Baby, New Life Spectrum, and maybe some frozen foods.

Lady Hobbs
11-10-2006, 10:27 PM
I feel sorry for my angelfish in my 30 gallon with 4 platies. I know the tank should be bigger but he's just so mean!