PDA

View Full Version : Possibly a Good Way to Get Rid of Pond Snails?

Kayla-Bug
04-15-2008, 05:03 PM
I was thinking the other day about a good way to get rid of pond snails. What brought the idea into my head was when I was getting some rocks out of an old betta bowl. When I had a betta in it, I put a little pond snail in his tank to see if he would eat it, but no luck. Well while I was getting those rocks (well gravel) out of that bowl, the little guy was all dried up and dead! He was stuck to the side of the bowl!!! So I was thinking, if people could empty their tanks out and let them sit for a few days til everything gets dried out and when you notice the pond snails are all dry, fix your tank back up!!!! Do you think this would be a good way to get rid of them???

Steff
04-15-2008, 05:08 PM
This might work, but is is a very cruel way to do it. It is like throwing you into a desert without anything!! Sorry, but this is NOT the way one should kill any animal.

ncbuckeye
04-15-2008, 05:09 PM
It maybe if you had somewhere else to house your fish, and have the time to cycle you tank again, letting it dry up will also kill off all the beneficial bacteria. I got some free pond snail and put them in my tank with crayfish within a few days all the snails are gone, but the crays were going after my fish next.

Kayla-Bug
04-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Yea it is kinda harsh, but people see them in their tanks and squish them on purpose. I have TONS of baby ones all over my 29 gallon wall. I'm not going to do that tho. It was just a suggestion to see what others thought. I might just keep them all!!! But they make my tanks dirty faster...=(

Kayla-Bug
04-15-2008, 05:27 PM
It maybe if you had somewhere else to house your fish, and have the time to cycle you tank again, letting it dry up will also kill off all the beneficial bacteria. I got some free pond snail and put them in my tank with crayfish within a few days all the snails are gone, but the crays were going after my fish next.Puffers are also good to get rid of them. But I can't get them because my tanks arent brackish and some of them get too large!!!

Steff
04-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Well, if I take a quick look into my tank I have a perfectly clear view into it, and I can't find any algae...
And there are quite many snails in it.

Kayla-Bug
04-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Maybe my pond snails aren't beneficial. I had (i had to wipe it) a bit of algae in my 29...I think they're different species of them. Some beneficial and some pests. Because some peopl say they eat thier algae and they don't eat thier plants and such and then others are like "They are DEMONS!!!"

Steff
04-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Maybe they find to much fishfood to eat, and so tere is no necessity to eat the algae. They would be the first snails not to like algae. Mine do also eat death leafes, so I don't have to care much for that.

Kayla-Bug
04-15-2008, 06:06 PM
I think I'll wait til they get bigger so I can get them out by hand without killing them and put them outside in our pond with the other million, billion, trillion, kazillion ones out there so they can make kazillions more!!!! LOL. It's better than killing them.

Steff
04-16-2008, 06:38 AM
This is a good idea, the snails will thank you...