PDA

View Full Version : Can Platties and swordtails crossbreed?

crackatinny
11-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Unusual question I guess, but we had a male and female sword, my wife on a visit to the fish shop 1 day commented how nice a blue platty was, being a softy, the following day while she was at work I went and bought it for her, along with a black and orange one, also a black male sword I could not resist, when it turned different angles, it had blue specs through it.

Since adding them, the black male sword chases the blue platty, when catching up, he try's to reverse toward her (unsure of platties sex), as I have read for breeding behaviour of swords, can the 2 varietys interbreed, have I been mislead in the identification of the platty by the fish shop, maybe it is a sword.

This behaviour has us baffled, I have included a pic of the platty, and as usual the black sword is close by.

Sorry bout the clarity of pic.

Fishguy2727
11-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Platies are already hybrids with swordtails. They used them to get more colors in the platy genepool, so it is very likely, especially when each species doesn't have enough individuals to breed amongst themselves.

crackatinny
11-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Interesting, but not surprising considering the sililaritys in the 2 species.

What other breeds of fish have been crossbreed?

crackatinny
11-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Platies are already hybrids with swordtails. They used them to get more colors in the platy genepool, so it is very likely, especially when each species doesn't have enough individuals to breed amongst themselves.

On this note I have opened another thread on variuose cross breeding queries, I hope you do not mind, but it got me curious

cyane
11-19-2006, 10:11 AM
it looks like a black female swordtail to me i have 2 of them. my male died though. and i have 2 orange females too. and a yelow female and male to go with her. and the sad part is that one female i have when i first bought some turned into a male...so i have 2 males. but supposedly once a female turns into a male it can not reproduce.

Fishguy2727
11-19-2006, 01:34 PM
That does not sound right at all. If they could not reproduce after switching over, there would be absolutely no reason to switch genders. They do that in nature to make themselves more avaialable to the individuals around them. If a huge group of females has no males around, everyone wins if one of them turns into a male. So if they can switch they should still be fertile.

cyane
11-19-2006, 08:52 PM
my she/male swordtail has been like that for about 5 months now and there are some signs of breeding, but no signs that the females are pregnant. so i still habe the other male that i got.....