PDA

View Full Version : Round bellies?

Cichlid*Newbie
04-15-2008, 01:17 AM
Seems one of my kenyi's and one of my zebras have fairly round bellies.....the other two don't, should i be worried?

cocoa_pleco
04-15-2008, 02:52 AM
could be a sign of overfeeding, feed a bit less and see how it goes

Cichlid*Newbie
04-15-2008, 02:58 AM
Oh okay ya i might have today although i only fed them once..this morning at like 530 and tonight at like 6...but ill cut it down a bit, they put on those little fishy faces and they just want more...

cocoa_pleco
04-15-2008, 03:12 AM
lol, that was my problem with my first tank, i fed them like 20 huge feedings a day, i had fat fish. now i throw in a few small feedings every couple of days

Dixie
04-15-2008, 01:15 PM
I'm starting to think there are some poorly breed fish out there for sale and rounded bellies is one of their flaws. I've gotta be getting ready for work so don't have time to go into it but have come to this conclusion.

RainMan
04-15-2008, 01:29 PM
Feed less.. more frequently is best for mbuna. In the wild they are primarily algae grazers. They're natural instinct tells them to find food constantly... that's why they always seem hungry. Don't worry about them begging for food... it is completely normal. With these fish it's better to underfeed than overfeed. If you feed them large amounts at once... their digestive system can't process it correctly and it can make them sick.

I will feed my cichlids up to 4 times a day (very small servings). But, if I only feed twice a day... I don't double up their rations either. I just make sure enough goes around.

You can also fast cichlids from time to time... it's actually healthy for them.... and increases their appetite the next time you feed them. Plus, there is probably more food in your tank then you realize... Force them to go find it once in a while.

Cichlid*Newbie
04-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Feed less.. more frequently is best for mbuna. In the wild they are primarily algae grazers. They're natural instinct tells them to find food constantly... that's why they always seem hungry. Don't worry about them begging for food... it is completely normal. With these fish it's better to underfeed than overfeed. If you feed them large amounts at once... their digestive system can't process it correctly and it can make them sick.

I will feed my cichlids up to 4 times a day (very small servings). But, if I only feed twice a day... I don't double up their rations either. I just make sure enough goes around.

You can also fast cichlids from time to time... it's actually healthy for them.... and increases their appetite the next time you feed them. Plus, there is probably more food in your tank then you realize... Force them to go find it once in a while.

Yeah i usually only feed them twice a day and they eat it really quick i just try and make sure they all get some...the one kenyi was kinda shy but now she? comes up when i open the lid...but yeah ill try and cut them down..i had dropped some pellets in for my syno..maybe they gobbled them too...before they couldn't eat them, but i see the growth already..one zebra is still pretty small but the other is getting larger..and one kenyi is larger too, i believe the male.

RainMan
04-15-2008, 02:45 PM
Yeah... it doesn't take long for them to start growing. :) Going up to feed is a good sign. When they stop doing this, you got troubles. So, you're okay for now.

What are you feeding them? What's the pellets you're feeding your syno?

Cichlid*Newbie
04-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Yeah... it doesn't take long for them to start growing. :) Going up to feed is a good sign. When they stop doing this, you got troubles. So, you're okay for now.

What are you feeding them? What's the pellets you're feeding your syno?

im just feeding the cichlids flakes..i tried pellets and they wouldn't eat them they just sat on the bottom, um the syno just the pellets i have at home from the ciclids....i wasn't sure what else to feed it.

RainMan
04-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Thats good... because both your cichlids and your synodontis will eat about anything you throw in. So as long as you are feeding the same stuff you can feed your cichlid, everything will be okay. They also love algae wafers and spirulina pellets.... which are also okay for your cichlids.

As a treat the entire tank gets frozen brine shrimp (maybe once a week). (I call it fish crack)... they all go nuts when you feed them shrimp.

Cichlid*Newbie
04-15-2008, 07:43 PM
Thats good... because both your cichlids and your synodontis will eat about anything you throw in. So as long as you are feeding the same stuff you can feed your cichlid, everything will be okay. They also love algae wafers and spirulina pellets.... which are also okay for your cichlids.

As a treat the entire tank gets frozen brine shrimp (maybe once a week). (I call it fish crack)... they all go nuts when you feed them shrimp.

Oh i dont have any of that shrimp, i guess i should get it.

RainMan
04-15-2008, 09:34 PM
No rush on it... It's not a requirement or anything. Make sure you thaw it out.... I have a good way of doing it with a little net and 2 cups. I gotta run though. If you ever want to know, send me a pm or something. :)