PDA

View Full Version : poor snails...

Levi
04-14-2008, 09:22 PM
well, this morning, i was feeding my wife's goldfish, and i noticed one of the snails was upside down

i took a closer look, and the snail shell was EMPTY! no more snail :(

i saw the other snail climbing on the glass later on, and decided to get a closer look at him

his siphon was all chewed off and his eye stalks are missing!! poor poor speedy..

i took him out of the tank and put him in a beer glass

no more snails in the goldie tank

i didn't know the goldfish were picking on them so badly....

what should i do with this poor beat-up mystery snail?

i can't put him in the other tanks or he will meet the same fate

Levi
04-14-2008, 09:25 PM
hmmm, now that he's in the beer glass i think i see some eyestalks, so at least there's that

William
04-14-2008, 09:28 PM
I wouldn´t have expected the goldfish to be that rough on them either. I have kept snails with semi aggressive cichlids without any problem.

Steff
04-15-2008, 04:57 PM
In the glass he won't be very happy either, because it is too little. Best thing would be to get a seperate tank (I'd say minimum 30 ltr.) with a filter and a heater, or give him to somebody who has got a suitable tank.
You should also keep the glass/tank very clean, because he might have some wounds, which could be infected by the water.

Levi
04-15-2008, 07:26 PM
he's not as chewed up as i thought he was, he just had everything all sucked in

the other snail is definitely gone tho

i would have thought they could just close up if the fish were hurting them

maybe the other snail died and then they ate her

i have no clue what to do with this guy, i don't want to put him back in there if he's going to get eaten, but i don't have anywhere else to put him

maybe i'll go get a small tank or something

Steff
04-16-2008, 06:40 AM
Well, I think they normally would close up, but even a snail gets hungry and therefore has to come out of his shell.
Hope he recovers soon.

Levi
04-16-2008, 09:31 AM
no, i meant his eyestalks and his syphon were all drawn in so i thought they got chewed, but i think he's fine

Steff
04-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Well, than he has no problem with that, only he needs a suitable home.