PDA

View Full Version : The Real Algae Eaters: Red Cherry Shrimp

jbeining75
04-14-2008, 11:52 AM
The Real Algae Eaters:

A Series on Freshwater Algae Eating Shrimp

Red Cherry Shrimp

Probably the most kept of any shrimp except maybe ghost shrimp is the common Red Cherry Shrimp. These guys are a great addition to the algae eating shrimp series. They are named for their coloration of their body. Their body makeup consists of a normal shrimp composition with coloration of red all throughout the body, hence red cherry shrimp. Mostly their underbellies will show an opaque cream color. Females tend to be darker and more colorful than the males who appear a pinkish or clearer color. They are known by most aquarists as Red Cherry Shrimp or Cherry Red Shrimp, or just Cherry Shrimp and have a scientific name of neocaridina denticulata sinesis.

The red cherry shrimp is easily obtainable throughout the US, Canada, and Europe and is why they are a very common species in freshwater planted. The cherry shrimp is native to Asia and is easily breed in captivity throughout the world. Main breeding of this species occurs in the Taiwan area however. They are a very docile species of shrimp and can be kept with other shrimp of same temperament. They are a great clean-up crew for most community tanks as they will devour algae and even filter feed from the substrate of the tanks.

The red cherry shrimp as any shrimp is very susceptible to ammonia levels and should be kept in a planted tank that is stable enough to hold ammonia and nitrite levels to minimal or none. A planted tank is ideal for the cherry shrimp as they prefer to hang out on aquatic plants as this is a natural defense mechanism they have adapted. Normal water conditions apply to these shrimp species. They are very adaptive to levels as long as the levels remain stable throughout water changes. The ideal ranges for these shrimp are medium to hard water and slightly acidic although again they can adapt and live in soft to hard and acidic to alkaline waters. They are best breed in waters that are not very acidic however. Normal tank temperatures for this species are around 68 to 78 but nothing over 80 degrees.

In the aquarium they are best suited for planted community tanks with less aggressive fish. Due to their size they do not make good tank mates for larger and more aggressive fish which will view them as a meal. The best tank mates for these guys will be your smaller tetra varieties like cardinals, neons, glolight tetra, danios, or various other small tetra species. A heavily to moderately planted tank will be best as it provides then adequate places to hide reducing the overall stress they will go through. The plants do not necessarily need to be real but if fake provide them with plenty of leafy plants to hang on. Normal lifespan for these shrimp in aquarium settings with ideal water perimeters is around 2 years. As for breeding, cherry shrimp will breed readily in a stable established tank with proper perimeters. Eggs are held by the female generally for 15-30 days and her underbelly will show a yellowish tint when carrying.

In conclusion the red cherry shrimp is a great addition to any planted tank. They are a great part of any cleanup crew and will readily devour algae and uneaten fish pellets or debris in the gravel. They are very easily kept and require plants for hiding. Due to the non-aggressive nature and easy keeping the red cherry shrimp is a perfect fish for most community tanks.

Fishalicious
04-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Another great article on one of my fave little shrimp :19: Thanks

sailor
04-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Another great write up J, I want to get some. Would they be ok in a planted betta tank?

jbeining75
04-14-2008, 12:08 PM
Another great write up J, I want to get some. Would they be ok in a planted betta tank?

Ellens betta ate hers...... Betta are hit or miss. Some allow them...Some don't. I have had Amano's in a betta tank planted before with alot of leafy plants so the shrimp can flee if need be and they were fine but Ellen's didn't work. It really depends on the betta. Try a ghost shrimp first. They are easier to find and cheaper. Sucks to say that but. If he'll except the gs he should take the cherry.

sailor
04-14-2008, 12:22 PM
When I get back I will try a few feeder shrimp and see how that goes, good idea.

Sasquatch
04-14-2008, 12:37 PM

Cherries may not be the best idea in a betta tank. Bettas naturally react aggressively to the color red, and bettas tend to be pretty aggressive to start with, though it depends on the individual fish.

I'd go with ghosts or amanos. No color problems and amanos are larger, so they should be better able to defend themselves and/or suffer less aggression from the betta.

jbeining75
04-15-2008, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Feel free to add anything....

Ellen4God
04-15-2008, 01:41 AM
Great article!!! :19: :19: :19:

PUNISHER VETTE
04-15-2008, 01:49 AM
I would really like to get some shrimp as an algae eater but i think all my LFS carries are some generic ones for feeding...don't know how good a job they would do or even what kind they are...

Algenco
04-15-2008, 02:07 AM
I would really like to get some shrimp as an algae eater but i think all my LFS carries are some generic ones for feeding...don't know how good a job they would do or even what kind they are...

I have lots of cherries:hmm3grin2orange:

PUNISHER VETTE
04-15-2008, 02:21 AM
I probably can't even get any till i get ride of my Yoyo loach...right?

The LFS said he might even start eating my tetras if he runs out of snails....

Algenco
04-15-2008, 02:27 AM
I probably can't even get any till i get ride of my Yoyo loach...right?

The LFS said he might even start eating my tetras if he runs out of snails....

yep, he wouldn't get along with shrimp

PUNISHER VETTE
04-15-2008, 02:28 AM
yep, he wouldn't get along with shrimp

I'm not quite done planting plants so i better keep him a little longer. Don't want to have another outbreak and have to buy another.

And although i like him i don't want him if i don't need him....

jbeining75
04-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Just a final bump up for the weekend crew before these go to articles archive…
I really appreciate all the support guys.. Have a great day….