PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suitable fish

Jakaris
11-09-2006, 09:43 PM
I have a 26 gallon bowfront that currently has 4 corydoras, 2 angels, and 4 Harlequin Rasboras. I was told that I could probably put either one small school of fish, like neons, or 2 medium/ one large fish in there and be okay. Any and all advice would be appreciated. And yes, the tank IS tall for the angels.

jeffs99dime
11-09-2006, 10:58 PM
i wouldn't put neons in with angels. the angelfish will attack them or even kill them. --jeff

Jakaris
11-09-2006, 11:32 PM
In that case, what larger fish would you recommend? I've heard good things about Dwarf Gouramis, but I would like to get some help from someone more experienced before I actually buy them.

CJ1
11-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Most of your fish are South American. A nice group of some tetras would work good. Neons will work if they're big enough to not be considered food by the angels. Serpae tetras really look great, but they are fin nippers, so just beware of that. Prestellas are cool too.

Fishguy2727
11-10-2006, 01:51 AM
Harlequin rasboras need a school of at least 10 to truly thrive, so I would simply fill in the school you have already started.

Jakaris
11-10-2006, 02:56 AM
Thanks, I originally had 5 but one died for some reason, all the other fish were fine. I'm guessing a Dwarf Gourami wouldn't work if I took the # of HR's up to 10, would it? Probably pushing the tanks limits at that point...

Glasstapper
11-10-2006, 08:50 PM
I agree with upping your school of raspboras, but if you really want to add a new species, maybe a school of 6 penguin tetras would be nice and swim at an upward angle. I'm not personally experienced with them, but I hear they're fairly adaptable, very peaceful, and only really sensitive to high nitrates. Adult size is about 2 inches. As always, do your research first.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/tetra-pictures/penguin_profile1.jpg

As for dwarf gouramis, my experience has not been a good one so far. They are extremely beautiful, but they are causing problems in my tank with sickness and aggression.