PDA

View Full Version : species

wynie
11-09-2006, 08:26 PM
hi

can mix oscars with angels, bala sharks, red tale sharks and silver dollars in one tank. my tank is +- 110 gallos

jeffs99dime
11-09-2006, 11:10 PM
i wouldn't recommend the angels. not sure about the others though.

William
11-10-2006, 12:00 AM
What size would the fish be when introduced to eachother?

Lady Hobbs
11-10-2006, 12:30 AM
I would love an Oscar but would be afraid of that mix.

Fishguy2727
11-10-2006, 01:46 AM
Some people use silver dollars as dithers with big aggressive fish, but I find this to be a bit cruel for them in captivity, which should be the absolute most ideal conditions we can provide. The others wont do either. Even if introduced when young, the oscar will simply outgrow them all and he is still a carnovore even if raised with them and never fed live food. Do you already have the fish listed and are considering adding the oscar?

Lady Hobbs
11-10-2006, 02:00 AM
Dollars are large enough that I guess some think they can go with anything. They won't be happy if scared to death all the time and like balas, are defenseless even tho they are large. Dollars are skittish to start with but do best if there are several together.

wynie
11-10-2006, 01:18 PM
they will be the same size

Fishguy2727
11-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Who will be the same size? As stated, even if they start the same size the oscar will outgrow them. And oscars fall into the good old rule of, if it can fit in the fish's mouth, that is probably where it will end up. Do not put an oscar in that tank, the only fish it would be good for is the oscar.

crackatinny
11-10-2006, 03:31 PM
I have read that Bala's do not mix well with other's commonly called sharks, (of cause the different varietys including bala's are not true sharks).

I have 2 Bala's, the pet shop I got them from had all sharks in 1 tank, 1 of my bala's was very finnipped I noticed when I got home, to the extent he was bleeding, this verifies what I had read about the aggresive action of other so called sharks to the bala.

Within a couple of weeks all fins grew back and he is striving. Both Balas at moment are in with, silver dollars, angles, platties, mollies, swordtails and sucking catfish, and all getting along very well.

Due to growing sizes, the bigger breeds are soon being moved to a bigger tank, but this seemed to be quite a peacefull tank, only thing is, I have 2 angles 1 white 1 marble, for some reason the marble has given the white angle a hard time.

So only new to this, but from limited experience, for a comunity tank I would say, if you want the sharks, don't mix, go for the bala, they are very peacefull and keep to themselves.

Lady Hobbs
11-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Very good point tinny. Ah......should I call you crack or beer? LOLOLOL

Balas are very docile and not a shark at all.

kimmers318
11-10-2006, 06:20 PM
It usually isn't a good idea to mix cichlids with non cichlids....they are carnivores and will act as such no matter how docile they appear. Our oscars are quite docile as oscars go, but they sure do give pleccy a run for his money. He was already pushing a foot long when we got him, so we were lucky to find a plec large enough to put with them....but let me tell ya, Bubba and Gump regularly like to harass him....and then he comes flying up and headbutts them!

wynie
11-10-2006, 07:52 PM
what fish can i mix with oscars

Fishguy2727
11-10-2006, 09:00 PM
In what size tank? With what filtration? With what water change schedule?

wynie
11-11-2006, 12:35 PM
tank size +-110 gallons, what filtration is right for this size

Fishguy2727
11-11-2006, 01:57 PM
I would do 2 Whisper 60s, 2 Penguin 350s, or 2 Emperor 400s AND at least one if not 2 Fluval 405s. I would then carry out weekly 50-75% water changes.

You could have other oscars, other large cichlids, predatory catfish, bichirs, lots of things depending on how many oscars you do and exactly what filtration you do.