PDA

View Full Version : Patch reef vs. fruit-stand

Rue
04-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Since no one is commenting in the other thread, I thought it might do better as a topic of it's own.

Most new (and many old) reef-keepers get so excited by their first reef tank, that they go and get one of this, and one of that - and looky! Two of those really cool corals - without thought as to compatibility, room for growth and overstockin the tank.

I just read an article yesterday on the 'patch reef tank' (Aquarium Fish International, May 2008). The patch reef consists of little individual islands of rock - each with it's own set of corals on it.

The advantage of the patch reef:

1. You can grow corals safely that would normally sting each other or start chemical warfare.

2. More room for fish to swim.

3. More 'natural' looking.

4. Easier to maintain tank.

The "typical" reef tank seen most often - is apparently referred to as the 'fruit-stand' approach. Corals crowed together will-nilly...no room for fish...and eventually these overloaded tanks run a WAY higher risk of crashing.

Of course, you can't really do a patch reef in a nano...since a nano would only be one island, but I would love to see mature patch reef tanks in 6' setups...

gm72
04-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Interesting comments and concept. I'd love to see some pictures of both approaches.

Rue
04-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Me too! LOL...I'll see what I can find.

Why do we no longer have an edit button? I was going to fix all my typos and now I can't!:c1:

Rue
04-13-2008, 10:07 PM
This is a nice overall article. Mentions the patch reef.

http://www.fishchannel.com/saltwater-aquariums/aquarium-frontiers/natural-coral-reef.aspx

gm72
04-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Why do we no longer have an edit button? I was going to fix all my typos and now I can't!:c1:

Hmm...not sure about that. If it continues please PM William.

zackish
04-13-2008, 11:27 PM
I don't like the idea. I like having zoos all over my tank and mushrooms and I think people should just really do their research about what stings what and such. I think it would look too organized/like a retail store if you used the "patch" method you are refering too.
Just my 2 cents....

cocoa_pleco
04-14-2008, 03:07 AM
i think iluvmygoldbarb's 125g is island styled, im jealous of his tank, it looks good. my 90g has 237lbs LR, and i like the way it looks, but with my 90g im doing the island thing

also rue, we can now only edit 5 minutes after our post, something around 5 minutes

spudbuds
04-14-2008, 06:04 AM
I read that same article and found it very interesting. I've seen a few tanks with the island like setup and I always love them. When I was setting up the live rock in my tank, I felt I didn't have the depth to be able to pull it off. It seems to look best in a cube style tank, IMO. Instead I went with a cross between the two. I tried to leave plenty of open area, especially on the right side of the tank. I wanted to be able to see the sand bed and have a small island for zoas or ricordeas.

- Bill