PDA

View Full Version : wonderful pictures of golden clam vent and foot!

karbomb
04-13-2008, 07:31 PM
i am lucky enough that this guy decided to burrow himself in the substrate right behind the acrylic. so i got some up close and personal images of him, i wanted to share them with you guys cos i personally think it is interesting to see what clams actually look like.
the first image is of his vent
and the second you can see his foot beneath him and his vent at the top.

xoolooxunny
04-13-2008, 07:35 PM
cool pics! lucky shot! they are pretty neat to watch aren't they?

karbomb
04-13-2008, 07:36 PM
yeah i really like having them in my tanks, they create a tiny amount of biomass and sift through my gravel filtering out all the bad stuff. and they are great to watch.

Fishalicious
04-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Great piccie!!! Never seen the foot under the substrate like that... I always just see them dragging themselves along on it ...

Thanks for sharing

William
04-13-2008, 07:39 PM
very nice pics

karbomb
04-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Great piccie!!! Never seen the foot under the substrate like that... I always just see them dragging themselves along on it ...

Thanks for sharing
no problem. i was really proud of myself for getting a good shot and i wanted to share. glad you guys are enjoying the images.

gm72
04-13-2008, 07:48 PM
Oh wow, great shots there. Is it a freshwater clam?

karbomb
04-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Oh wow, great shots there. Is it a freshwater clam?
yes, he's a freshwater golden clam.

jbeining75
04-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Cool pic Karbomb!!!!!!

karbomb
04-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Cool pic Karbomb!!!!!!
thanks jbeining.

smaug
04-13-2008, 09:12 PM
You would never have gotten that shot if you would have been waiting for it!Very nice.

karbomb
04-13-2008, 09:18 PM
You would never have gotten that shot if you would have been waiting for it!Very nice.
yeah i went over to my 3g to get a picture of one of the baby ramshorns and the clam was burying himself with his foot. it was definitely pure luck.

siymdapolio
04-13-2008, 10:43 PM
Wicked! thats awesome!

Halelorf
04-14-2008, 12:06 AM
awesome pictures and awesome clam!

karbomb
04-14-2008, 12:36 AM
thanks everyone. i just thought you all would love to see the foot and vent.

MeganL3985
04-14-2008, 03:42 AM
Those are such cool pics! I want some now! lol

Harls
04-14-2008, 08:47 AM
There interestingly Kewl if that makes sense LOL
Great Pics, wish i had ur good luck, idon't even have a camera!! LOL

jason 77
04-30-2008, 10:25 PM
That is cool!..........

Where can I get a couple of those for my fish tank? and would the Crabs pick on them?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Well done on the pics. How long have you had the little guy?

karbomb
05-06-2008, 02:23 AM
That is cool!..........

Where can I get a couple of those for my fish tank? and would the Crabs pick on them?
crabs and clams cannot go together, the crabs will eat them. there is only one pet store in chicago that sells them. but you can order them off the internet for very cheap.

karbomb
05-06-2008, 02:24 AM
Well done on the pics. How long have you had the little guy?
now i have had him for about a month. there are two more in my 10g that i have had for about 5 months. they are all doing very well.

Wild Turkey
05-06-2008, 03:04 AM
now i have had him for about a month. there are two more in my 10g that i have had for about 5 months. they are all doing very well.

Let us know how they do, its said clams dont do well in clear water for more than a few months unfortunately. Great pics ive never seen clam pics that good

razum
04-16-2010, 05:48 PM
I can’t find any info on the Golden Clam life-cycle. I have some Golden Clams (Corbicula fluminea) for the past 9 months. For the most part, they appear lifeless (never moving); most of them are buried completely in substrate; all of them are tightly closed; none of them appear to be degrading or rotting. Once in a while I've seen a bit of shifting substrate that I assume is a clam moving. That’s about it.

This week, four of them moved up through the substrate and remained lodged 1/2 in, 1/2 out. Their shells opened a little and exposed their vents. One of them continued to open over a few days time. The others retreated into the substrate and have just a corner of their shells exposed.

Today I noticed the one that kept opening has left its' shell and is floating 2 inches below the surface of the water among some plants. It’s not moving. I can’t tell if it’s dead or alive. My tank smells sweet (but it has only been 8-12 hours out of its’ shell). Everyone is leaving it alone (SAE, CPD, Tetras, & shrimp).

Is it dead? Is it molting? Should I remove it or keep watching? Ideas anyone?

Scrup
04-16-2010, 07:42 PM
has left its' shell and is floating

It is a clam. Its dead. Has been for quite a while. If its shell is open, its either dead or going to be very soon. They should only open a tiny bit on one side, just like the pic.

also, this is a pretty old post. You should start a new one next time, instead of hijacking and reviving old ones.

razum
04-16-2010, 11:50 PM
Having a bad day? Hmm, it's hard to interpret attitude in writing. Your response sounds sarcastic or snippy. I'm new to aquaria and this was my first post in this forum. Excuse me for "highjacking" this thread and posting what seems to be a stupid question.

Scrup
04-17-2010, 10:02 PM
I was simply suggesting you start a new one, you would probably get more replies that way.

And there was no sarcasm, your clam is indeed dead. They do not molt or leave the shells for a swim around the tank. If it decayed enough to come out of its shell, you probably have or had an ammonia spike, as they are pretty messy when they die.

Look into getting some food for them specifically as they most frequently die of starvation. The same food used for saltwater clams works well from what I have heard.

And welcome!

UncleWillie
04-18-2010, 12:34 AM
Nice pics. They are Corbicula (asian clam) for those who know them by these names.

Edit:
Oopsy. I didn't see that this was an old thread, and I didn't realize it was 3 pages. Ignore my comment as it has already been mentioned.

While this is an old thread, it isn't a terrible idea to have the aforementioned post posted here - as it will limit the results when someone is searching the board for clam info.

Shaunjr_89
06-13-2010, 06:40 AM
Very cool thumbs2: nice clam.

Lady Hobbs
06-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Best way of preventing dragging up old threads is to go into your User CP at the top of the page, click User Options and set your posts to a time frame in this area.

Default Thread Age Cut Off

You can set it so you do not even see all those old posts so are not tempted to post in them and drag them up from the dead.

bluethumb
07-26-2010, 04:11 AM
Nice shot!

I had 8, then I installed my Eheim filter... soon my clams died of starvation :(

Dave-H
07-26-2010, 06:51 PM
I would love to have a few clams in my tank, but I've been told several times that they almost never survive in a freshwater aquarium. The lfs told me that they've really never seen them survive and they stopped selling them.

Does anyone have any success stories with golden clams?

Northernguy
07-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Best way of preventing dragging up old threads is to go into your User CP at the top of the page, click User Options and set your posts to a time frame in this area.

Default Thread Age Cut Off

You can set it so you do not even see all those old posts so are not tempted to post in them and drag them up from the dead.

Great post! If you have a question about clams then please start your own thread.You will get more replies.Most of the people posting in this thread are no longer around anyway!