PDA

View Full Version : interesting story.

karbomb
04-13-2008, 05:40 PM
so recently i moved my danio choprae out of my 3g and into my 10g. and today as i am tending to my 3g i notice lots of baby ramshorn snails everywhere. i don't own any ramshorn snails and never have, just Malaysian trumpet snails and two olive nertrites. so i am pretty sure the ramshorns hitched with the java moss. at first i thought by some freak of nature they were baby olive netrites (they lay eggs constantly but the eggs only hatch in SW) then on closer inspection they have that tell tail ramshorn spiral shell. so the interesting thing about this is until today i had never seen a single ramshorn in that tank. i am thinking my danio choprae was eating all the little buggers. weird huh?

gm72
04-13-2008, 05:52 PM
I think pretty cool!

EDIT: I though nertrites would hatch in brackish conditions and not necessarily full SW? Am I wrong?

jbeining75
04-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Also nice to find new inhabitants. They probably did hitch a ride on the moss... Congrats on them though (if you are likeing them lol)

karbomb
04-13-2008, 05:59 PM
I think pretty cool!

EDIT: I though nertrites would hatch in brackish conditions and not necessarily full SW? Am I wrong?
i think you are right actually.

karbomb
04-13-2008, 06:00 PM
Also nice to find new inhabitants. They probably did hitch a ride on the moss... Congrats on them though (if you are likeing them lol)
yeah i love having a diverse range of aquatic life in my tanks.
as long as they aren't pond snails i'm happy. i just don't like that pond snails eat plants. plus it will be nice when they get all big.

Minderella83
04-13-2008, 06:09 PM
I wish I had some snails, are they better at eating algae or is shrimp?

karbomb
04-13-2008, 06:14 PM
I wish I had some snails, are they better at eating algae or is shrimp?
in my experience neither. maybe the ramshorns will eat some algae. the shrimp are a great clean up crew though, i have 6 amano shrimp and they have colonized my driftwood. it would appear they are keeping that pretty tidy.

gm72
04-13-2008, 06:16 PM
i think you are right actually.

Okay, that's what I thought. I mean, not a big deal. Either way you look at it they won't hatch in FW.

karbomb
04-13-2008, 06:16 PM
oh and to add to mysterious appearances of aquatic life, i found a new crypt in my tank today. no idea how it got there, it's on the opposite side of the tank that my other to crypts are on.

gm72
04-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Interesting. Wonder how that happened?

karbomb
04-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Interesting. Wonder how that happened?
i just talked to doug about it (i made a separate thread regarding the plant) and i guess crypts shoot runners. one of my crypts must have shot one underneath the substrate.

Steff
04-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Funny story, this happens to me every time I buy new plants.
I think the neritides hatch in brackish water, then they go to the sea into real SW and finally, afer growing up, they come back into FW or BW.

EDIT: My snails are keeping my tank really clean, since I got them, I never needed to clean it for algae.

karbomb
04-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Funny story, this happens to me every time I buy new plants.
I think the neritides hatch in brackish water, then they go to the sea into real SW and finally, afer growing up, they come back into FW or BW.

EDIT: My snails are keeping my tank really clean, since I got them, I never needed to clean it for algae.

well i have had the tank up for about 2 months and had the java moss in there for almost as long. so i guess what i found interesting about it is i hadn't seen a single ramshorn until today. a few days after i removed my danio from the tank. i didn't think danios ate snails..

Steff
04-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Maybe they were hiding? Mine sometimes go digging in the sand, but I really don't know why, since tere are only other snails in the tank.
How big are your ramshorns?

karbomb
04-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Maybe they were hiding? Mine sometimes go digging in the sand, but I really don't know why, since tere are only other snails in the tank.
How big are your ramshorns?
just barely visible. i'll take a picture and post it. they are about 1-2mm. just big enough that i can tell its a ramshorn.

Steff
04-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Then they just hatched recently. They probably came into the tank as eggs.

karbomb
04-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Then they just hatched recently. They probably came into the tank as eggs.
i have had the java moss for about a month and a half and i haven't seen a single ramshorn until today.
anywho here is a picture of one of the little guys
as for size perspective the two strands of green are java moss.

gm72
04-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Tiny! Very cool!

karbomb
04-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Tiny! Very cool!
i think the best part is that i know these guys will be the size of silver dollars one day.

Steff
04-15-2008, 04:49 PM
To me the snail on the photo looks like a nearly adult snail, there are ramshorns which don't grow much bigger. This would then also explain, why it took you so long to see them.

karbomb
04-16-2008, 08:29 PM
To me the snail on the photo looks like a nearly adult snail, there are ramshorns which don't grow much bigger. This would then also explain, why it took you so long to see them.
that is very interesting. i will have to wait and see if they get big or stay small.