PDA

View Full Version : New Life Spectrum

SpyderSpy6
04-13-2008, 02:19 PM
I love the NLS food. My discus have taken to it tremendously. Thank you to AF members for the advice. I just have one issue...

I put the sinking discus formula in a feeding cone. When my discus eat, debris goes EVERYWHERE! Is this bad? I have tried lessening how much I gave them, but it still makes a mess.

I have plenty of little guys to clean up but I'm worried they can't always clean up like this. Should I not use the cone? Or will the food debris not cause an issue in my tank, as long as I'm cleaning up afterwards??

gm72
04-13-2008, 02:21 PM
As long as you have a cleanup crew your should be just fine. Maybe put a smaller amount in the cone and feed multiple small doses. Not sure if that would help though?

jbeining75
04-13-2008, 02:46 PM
It is a cichlid. They are almost all messy eaters. Through some cleaners in there like GM stated. They will filter out the bottom. Water changes are very important with Discus as they are a relatively unstable species of cichlid.

gm72
04-13-2008, 03:45 PM
...they are a relatively unstable species of cichlid.

Do you really mean to say that Discus are unstable or do you mean they are very sensitive to the water conditions?

Incredulous_Ed
04-15-2008, 02:05 AM
Do you really mean to say that Discus are unstable or do you mean they are very sensitive to the water conditions?
Well, they are unstable WHEN outside their required water chemistry.

What's a feeding cone?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-15-2008, 02:11 AM
Well, they are unstable WHEN outside their required water chemistry.

Define that one. Required water chemistry for wild discus and captive bred discus is vastly different. I wouldn't even think of putting a wild discus in water with a pH of 7.2 but I'd think nothing of it for captive bred ones (obviously not F1s) since they are much more adaptable.

Incredulous_Ed
04-15-2008, 02:28 AM
Define that one. Required water chemistry for wild discus and captive bred discus is vastly different. I wouldn't even think of putting a wild discus in water with a pH of 7.2 but I'd think nothing of it for captive bred ones (obviously not F1s) since they are much more adaptable.
Well, If you keep even a captive bred disvus at liek 8.2, its going to be unstable right? I thought captives could only adapt to like 7.6 at most.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-15-2008, 02:30 AM
I wouldn't try 8.2 but I know of people who have them breeding in 7.6-7.8 water.

Incredulous_Ed
04-15-2008, 06:31 PM
I wouldn't try 8.2 but I know of people who have them breeding in 7.6-7.8 water.
Whoa! I said that on here and someone got mad at me. Live and learn (and get crorrected). Thats about my water. Hmm.....