PDA

View Full Version : When I feed my fish.....

freshwaterfishlover
11-09-2006, 12:01 AM
In my 29 gallon tank I currently have 4 Gold Giant Diano and 6 Swordtail. Everytime I feed the fish, the Dianos will get the food way ahead of the Swordtail. Almost allways eating the food in 5 seconds and leaving anothing for the Swordtails. Is there anything I can do? Is there anything you can recomand?

Lady Hobbs
11-09-2006, 12:18 AM
I have the same problem with my silver dollars not getting their share. I have to put enough food in for some to sink or they wouldn't get any.

freshwaterfishlover
11-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Ok I will try putting a little more in. As it already is I try to put in a lot just because for this reason.

jeffs99dime
11-09-2006, 12:39 PM
i also have that problem... my glowlights and black neons wolf down the food from the top and my rosy tetra just hang toward the bottom of the tank. i tell them to eat, but they just won't. lol

kimmers318
11-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Danios are like that, crazy little boogers. Try getting your swordtails to one side....drop food on the other side for the danios to run after and then drop some for the swordtails. It may or may not work....as fast as danios are they may still come right back and attack the other food. Be careful about overfeeding since this can lead to your water getting unhealthy. You might also want to consider some way of separating them at feeding time...some people I have heard have had luck netting fish just to feed them and they eventually see the net as a good thing that allows them to eat so they go right in.

jeffs99dime
11-09-2006, 12:44 PM
that netting idea is pretty good. it would keep the excess food off the bottom too.

Lady Hobbs
11-09-2006, 04:44 PM
I have even tried the Tetra grandulated food as it sinks but none of my fish touch the stuff. It even gets all over the uplift tube and settles in the gravel.

freshwaterfishlover
11-09-2006, 08:05 PM
I never tried putting food on one side for Dianos and one side for the Swordtails. I have tried placing the food closer to the Swordtails and the Dianos will swim all the way from one side of the tank to the other in 2 seconds and eat it. When the Dianos are finished eating(5 seconds) the Swordtails are just starting to come over.