PDA

View Full Version : Don't be scared but I have an idea!

Lady Hobbs
11-08-2006, 10:26 PM
I'm thinking of getting some cinder blocks and making my own aquarium stand. Thought I could stack them up, paint them black to match my other stands, lay a sheet of 1 inch plywood on top and then a sheet of pegboard or foam of some kind.

I really don't think it would look too stupid, do you, especially if it was painted black? I will have no storage but don't need any. Have plenty in my other stands.

What size are blocks! Not the kind with the holes in the center but the solid cement block?

CJ1
11-09-2006, 12:39 AM
As long as you have a level surface for the tank to sit on, no problems.

Lady Hobbs
11-09-2006, 01:06 AM
The stands I see for sale are 28 inches high. By the time I put a 24 inch tank on it, I can't reach inside the darned thing. The stand I bought from WalMart is 21 inches high and just the right height. I may have to break down and visit some fish stores?

Glasstapper
11-09-2006, 03:02 AM
How many blocks? That is one heavy stand, for sure. If you don't want them to show (and your floor can support the weight) you could always put some material or like a curtain in front.

I think cement is expensive, though.

Lady Hobbs
11-09-2006, 04:49 AM
I wouldn't cement them together...just stack them. I don't know what I'm doing. Just keep thinking of different things to save some money.

minabird
11-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Hobbs-

Here’s a link for DIY stands, both wood and with concrete blocks.

http://www.thekrib.com/TankHardware/stands.html

A simple stand using concrete blocks would be to use the blocks as the “legs” for the sides, and the center if it’s a long tank. The legs would span the depth of the tank. Place 2”x4’s across the legs to support the front and back of the aquarium and then plywood over the 2”x4”s. The aquarium’s front and back edges should rest directly over the 2”x4”s. To dress this up, you could probably attach plywood "doors" for the front and panels for the sides to the 2"x4"s to hide the concrete blocks land paint them black or stain them.

Have fun making your new stand. :)

Lady Hobbs
11-09-2006, 04:37 PM
That definately sounds better than a solid block frame all the way around. I can just see me hauling all that block into my apartment building. NOT! You know.......I have two sons that are both builders but getting a stand made from either of them takes an act of Congress. They work about 14 hour days and that leaves no time for ma's projects.

I am definately looking into your idea but I don't want it to look too stupid. It would sure take away from the looks of the whole thing. One of the plans showed a 3-sided box that could slide right up to it and make it look like a sold piece.

Since I'm a female, my "tools" consist of a hammer, two screwdrivers, one box of assorted nails, a roll of duct tape and a measuring tape. :)

minabird
11-09-2006, 07:21 PM
If it's the 2d plan from the top you're talking about Hobbs, I didn't realize that it had rollers and could slide away from the tank and the stand. That is a nifty idea.

William
11-09-2006, 08:07 PM
I have seen this done and looks really good. Personally I think it looks even better unpainted but that is up to you.

Lady Hobbs
11-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Man what an idea huh? I hadn't read that part either.

The blocks would not have to be painted either. Just the thingie that slides infront of it.

jeffs99dime
11-09-2006, 11:09 PM
well, i'm a carpenter and i can tell you that's a lot of weight for solid block. if you went that route i wouldn't put it anywhere other than the basement or in front of a sturdy load-bearing wall. how old is your house. that would be an issue too.