PDA

View Full Version : Cichlid Lake Salt and Hydrometer useage

Cichlid_Man
11-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Hi,
I was advised to get a hydrometer for my Cichlid tank.

I have been using regular aquarium salt, but now I have found Cichlid lake salt.
I am not sure if I have been "overdosing"

With the cichlid salt, The instructions tell you exactly how much to add to replicate Lake Malawi, but it doesn't say what reading you need to see on a hydrometer.

Anybody know what the specific gravity and the salinity in PPT's should read for cichlids???

Thanks

Fishguy2727
11-09-2006, 01:35 AM
If I remember correctly the salinity level of a rift lake tank should not show up on a hydrometer. However there are liquid reagent test kits for salinity. But in general the exact salinity level is not critical enough to warrant testing for it. If you can find the salinity level and want to go that route, that's great, but in general I would just go by the dosing on the bottle and it should be fine.

Cichlid_Man
11-09-2006, 02:59 AM
If I remember correctly the salinity level of a rift lake tank should not show up on a hydrometer. However there are liquid reagent test kits for salinity. But in general the exact salinity level is not critical enough to warrant testing for it. If you can find the salinity level and want to go that route, that's great, but in general I would just go by the dosing on the bottle and it should be fine.

Well, the reading I got was zero, and I guess that's what I wanted to see. As long as it is not showing too much salt.

Anyway, that albino cichlid that was suffering has died.
I am now using quick cure, as others are flashing and appear to have red gills.
I fear it is gill flukes.
I think they'll be fine. The worst thing that will happen is that my new tank will be stained with medicine, but that's a small price to pay for saving fish.