PDA

View Full Version : black moor with swim bladder problem.

lbj41
04-12-2008, 02:26 AM
ive got a black moor that is constantly upside down or on his side. its been happening after he eats for awhile now and i just thought its been constipation, but for the past 3 days hes constantly been like that. and i really feel bad for the little guy because when i was just rearranging some rocks he would come up to my hand and nibble on it and let me pet him. what could i do to cure this?

Halelorf
04-12-2008, 03:28 AM
Get some frozen peas, not canned. Put some in a cup of tank water and microwave them till they are warm. Pop the peas from the skins and feed the moor the peas for a couple of days. Should clear it up.

Halelorf
04-12-2008, 03:30 AM
Also because fancy goldfish are very deep bodied fish all their internal ograns are smooshed together. If they eat too much or get food stuck in their intestines it will press against the swim bladder so it can't inflate or deflate. This is why you get sinkers or floaters. Usually the peas will clear it up, although I have a calico fantail that was born with a deformity that has chronic swim bladder problems that peas can't help much. I've also heard excess nitrates in the water can give swim bladder like symptoms and seeing as you have lots of messy goldfish in that tank you might want to try a 50% water change. Hope that helps!

Rue
04-12-2008, 03:37 AM
My big fantail had some major swim bladder issues...it finally cleared up last April when I moved him to the 55g...

...he had room to swim and I think getting the exercise made a huge difference. He's still not entirely normal, but you have to watch him to notice...

lbj41
04-15-2008, 09:56 PM
after the peas and a little less food the situation for my moor is worse. my big feeder was tearing off his tail fins. i was at school the baseball but luckily my mom noticed. hes still having the swim bladder problems but more than half of his tail is gone. im guessing my feeder did this to him because he was weak, and as we all no animals prey on the weakest. hopefully he recovers but hes just floating in my quarantine tank, and upside down from the swim bladder disease.

Kula
08-10-2008, 06:39 AM
Okay, this is probably a really stupid question, but what type of peas work best? We have some frozen black-eyed peas in the freezer... Would those be okay after being boiled and mashed?

Gemstone
08-11-2008, 07:55 AM
I reckon a pea is a pea...no matter what strain..so yeah...should work.

Kula
08-11-2008, 08:05 AM
I've figured out my goldfish don't like black-eyed peas. Somebody needs to tell those guys beggars can't be choosers!

Allensfirstfish
06-08-2013, 12:41 AM
My black moor seems to float at the top of his tank. He is right side up and swims down but then seems to float right back up. I am going to try giving him peas as suggested above but I am wondering how many to give at a time, one a day?
Thanks!