PDA

View Full Version : As ya'll know...

TowBoater
04-11-2008, 11:24 AM
I will be upgrading my African tank soon and I was looking at possible tank mates and I noticed that the bichir was also from Africa. Can they live together?

sailor
04-11-2008, 11:34 AM
You can keep your Bichir with non-aggressive species as long as they are too large for the Bichir to swallow. Suitable species include Siamese Tigerfish, Knifefish and large Barbs. You can also keep several Bichirs together. They might fight a little over the food when you feed them, but they will generally tolerate each other very well. All the Bichirs should be of roughly the same size, and you must of course have a large aquarium if you want to keep several Bichirs together. Do not keep your Bichir with suckermouth catfish, since suckermouths are found of sucking on Bichirs which will make the Bichir very stressed and irritated. Also avoid all aggressive species, such as large cichlids and snakeheads.

From AC

TowBoater
04-11-2008, 12:00 PM
No no I have kept bichirs before, I am wondering if I can keep them with my Malawian.

William
04-11-2008, 12:24 PM
I wouldn´t recommend it.

deathtroll
03-29-2009, 05:27 PM
I have one in with my umbuna's gets along fine. but make sure the bichir is fairly good size or it will be lunch also make sure your other fish are big enough so they don't fit into your bichirs mouth and you might have to find away to feed the bichir because they arent as aggressive feeders.

I know they require different water paramiters.
sorry can't spell

Wiggs
03-29-2009, 05:36 PM
Wow Old thread is Old D:

but now that it is at the top, what did you end up doing? :P