PDA

View Full Version : Need a pleco

Adrian
04-10-2008, 04:18 PM
I need a pleco that is right around the 8 inch mark, that doesn't get much bigger than that. It also needs to have a voracious appetite for algae. Seems my pond has developed a bit of an algae problem. I threw in some mystery snails, lol, but at the size of the pond...they are at an all year buffet, and I don't think they even made a dent.

Whats the best algae eater out there? I need a good hardy fish that eats like crazy, but wont get huge.

Any ideas? BTW, I can't wait for it to grow up, I need to purchase an adult.

RainMan
04-10-2008, 04:26 PM
I've heard the brushy-nose plecostomus is good if you have a lot of plants.

Chinese Algae Eaters... Don't know anything about this fish... Just that it can be aggressive to deadly with small fish.

I've never had any fish truly take care of an algae problem though. Once it is out of control... it usually requires chemicals and cleaning.

Adrian
04-10-2008, 04:30 PM
I know that once an algae bloom is out of control, it is too late, however, by having something that enjoys snacking on algae as it grows is preferred. Hence looking to find something to keep my outside tank clean, as well as co-habitat together with my bluegill.

William
04-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Seem like the good old common bristlenosed pleco.

Lady Hobbs
04-10-2008, 04:37 PM
I have featherfins but can't attest to how great they are as algae eaters. By the look of my amazon swords, I'd say not too great. The chinese algaes are awful. I hate them. I plan to get the bristlenose as my worker bee.

siymdapolio
04-10-2008, 04:39 PM
I agree with William and Lady Hobbs here the Bristlenose is awesome at algea and eats almost all of it if its hungry enough.... Since you have so much algea he will be in heaven!!!

a 3-4 inch bristlenose i have read will keep a 55 gallon clean of algea. ITs a busy bee for sure!

Good luck!

RainMan
04-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Sorry that's what I mean... Bristlenose not brushy nose. :)

siymdapolio
04-10-2008, 04:43 PM
I figured that rainman :thumb:

And yea chinese algae eaters are horrible! Not meant for aquariums i think and i hate that pets store sell them as algae eating and forget to mention how mean it becomes when its older... Thats no good!

Lady Hobbs
04-10-2008, 04:44 PM
In both cases you are correct RainMan. It's called both names.

siymdapolio
04-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Good info hobbs thanks for that. did not know that!

RainMan
04-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Me neither... I think I got lucky. Thanks for clarifying Hobbs.

siymdapolio
04-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Me neither... I think I got lucky. Thanks for clarifying Hobbs.
Its all good we learned from it yay!!:19:

Adrian
04-10-2008, 04:49 PM
How expensive are BN's? And, will it survive outdoors? No heater, and dependant on the climate conditions. Remember, I live in florida. So, during the winter, it gets cool, a freeze or two, but that is about it.

Where do I find BN's? I usually only see the more expensive plecos, and the common ones.

siymdapolio
04-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Well florida should be ok in the winter. The BN can tolerate temps down to 72 but that would not be fun for it.. It would prefer 78 all the time and then if your pond reaches 85 or something it would be no good...

they are cheap up here in Oregon. I payed 7 bucks for mine adn I know that they can get cheaper too

William
04-10-2008, 04:53 PM
In both cases you are correct RainMan. It's called both names.

I felt that I have to add a little here. Bristlenose pleco is the species name. Bushy nose pleco refers to a group of ancistrus species that have bushy noses (the males anyway) and the bristlenosed pleco is one of those species.

So if you want to name the specific species you should say bristlenosed pleco.

Just a litle trivia.

siymdapolio
04-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks william I know how to tell the sex to if I should add that to anywere?

Adrian
04-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Well florida should be ok in the winter. The BN can tolerate temps down to 72 but that would not be fun for it.. It would prefer 78 all the time and then if your pond reaches 85 or something it would be no good...

they are cheap up here in Oregon. I payed 7 bucks for mine adn I know that they can get cheaper too

Well, during the summer, my 35,000 gallon pool reaches 86 degrees. So I know my pond will get even warmer, as there is less water. Perhaps I need something else?

During winter months, it may drop into the 60's, even 50's for a bit, but warms back up.

Any other thoughts suggestions?

siymdapolio
04-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Hmm i will look around for you but i am off to class right now... I will look around and if I go into the LFS i will ask them for you too. Ill be back on later
Good luck :thumb:!

Those conditions are not right for a bristlenose because it is orgianlly from the fast flowing waters in Guyana.... Very stable temp there

MandyL
04-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Here's a good website on algae in ponds, with info on algae-eaters as well: http://www.fishpondinfo.com/plants/algae2.htm

siymdapolio
04-10-2008, 08:14 PM
thats great info mandy!
I found this on there that will help outlander tons! [url]http://www.fishpondinfo.com/plants/algaetable.htm[/url

William
04-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Algae in ponds is easy to controll. Just add hay.

siymdapolio
04-10-2008, 08:17 PM
All summed up into three words Just add hay! Well done william!

RainMan
04-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Really? I guess you do, learn something new every day.

ncbuckeye
04-11-2008, 12:02 AM
Depending on the size of the pond, grass carp are great at keeping green stuff down, but they can get huge, but you can buy one and resell him to someone who has a larger pond, I htink most of them sell for about $12.

Anja
04-11-2008, 12:26 AM
We get mostly string (hair) algae in our pond around this time. Afaik neither common nor BN pleco eat those. Someone told me that tadpoles are good algae eaters, but I dunno how true that is. Our goldfish take care of the algae on the rocks.

Now I'm curious about the hay, William, how does that work?

edit: Never mind. I just found it.