PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Tanks Decorated

TehTANK
11-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Hello everyone. I am just curious what everyone's tank looks like and how you have your tank decorated for your oscar. What he/she likes or doesn't seem to like. I have been trying to figure out what I want to do now that I have a 90 gallon tank. I was thinking some drift wood. It is expensive though. I want to make some caves and make it look really good...I just am blank on ideas. Anyone want to cherp in here? Here is what I have so far.....

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c102/ffanzone/90Gallon.jpg

Lady Hobbs
11-06-2006, 04:35 PM
Your tank is lovely. Make sure you enter it in the TOTM thread!

Since you have cichlids, you will not want driftwood as it brings the ph down.

TehTANK
11-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Thanks so much. Any suggestions then on how I can spruce it up in there for my oscar?

paulie
11-06-2006, 04:39 PM
wow what a nice tank u have there and I really dont have any ideas for u other than u can put some rocks in there to build caves I also seen some tanks with plant pots in there which I never new u could use lol but me my self I love drift wood and I wish it didnt cost so much . good luck with the tank cant wait to so what the out come looks like.

TehTANK
11-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Thanks Paulie,

I love my tank so much. It has been my dream to have one this size for a long time. I really want to make it look great though and for my oscar to be happy with his surroundings. If you know anyone who has any suggestions please let me know. I really like the look of drift wood too. I wonder how much a difference it makes with the PH and if my Oscar would be able to handel it.....anyone know or have drift wood in their tank with their oscar?

TehTANK
11-06-2006, 07:28 PM
Here is a little closer view of my Bubba and my tank. These are what I have in there right now. You can see my rock cave and my slate house.... I want more!!!!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c102/ffanzone/90Gallon2.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c102/ffanzone/90Gallon3.jpg

Fishguy2727
11-07-2006, 01:57 AM
Some types of driftwood don't shift pH that much and oscars are South American, so a pH of 6.4-6.6 is ideal. I like to keep big cichlid tanks very simple to help prevent areas of no or low flow that cause debris to build up. The only decor I would use is what is necessary to provide a center point for the territory, as in a cave or huge piece of driftwood that the oscar can get in. The only thing in my jaguar cichlid's tank is a 6" diameter PVC pipe T-connector.

Lady Hobbs
11-07-2006, 02:32 AM
I got a large piece of sinking driftwood for ThatPetPlace.com Infact, bought 3 pieces from them and it's the most reasonable place I've seen on the net. Of course I LOVE their plastic plants as well. I like the ones that stick on the walls of the tanks and don't take up much swimming space.

You could also get fake driftwood and with that you know you won't alter the pH. They also have that, as well. Your oscar is awesome!

TehTANK
11-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks so much! I know if I were to get a large piece of driftwood then I would probably take everything lese out. Well maybe not my rock house. I would probably use those some how and then just lay the slate down on the bottom floor. Thanks so much for the compliments on my oscar. I have had him since he was just a little guy. I wonder if anyone here has driftwood that they don't need anymore...? I am just looking for a really good piece for cheap. I have a baby on the way and my wife would kill me if I spent a ton of money one wood.....you know?

Thanks guys!

Hey everyone else let me know about your tanks and decorations too!

TehTANK
11-08-2006, 08:04 PM
:sad: No one wants to tell me about their oscar tank???? :sad:

jeffs99dime
11-08-2006, 08:26 PM
i'd tell you about my oscar tank if i had one. lol. i like your pics by the waythumbs2:

TehTANK
11-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Thanks Jeffs! I am going to post some more as soon as I take some! I hope others out there have oscar tanks though and can show me....

Glasstapper
11-12-2006, 11:22 PM
Hi, I found this link that sells artificial driftwood. Looks pretty cheap to me.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12027&N=2004+113714

Juannie
11-13-2006, 02:38 AM
I have my oscar, female synspilum & very large pleco in a 4 foot tank (I don't know US measurements sorry). I have white sand on the bottom with a 2 terracotta pots and a few pieces of slate and rocks for hiding places for my syns. There is driftwood in there specifically for the pleco. I've used an old office tray (with holes in it) to split the tank as my oscar gets grumpy every now and then & has a go at my synspilum - it's perfect because there is still waterflow and they can peer at each other, it doesn't block the tank off - they can still swim over top - but it's preventing a lot of fighting. The oscar's side has hardly anything because between him and the pleco they move the sand constantly and if i build hiding palces they get destroyed very easily. I will take a photo and show you - their water is a slight yellow colour from the wood but it makes it look pretty cool.

kimmers318
11-13-2006, 03:32 AM
Good luck with decorating an oscar tank...they have a tendency to redecorate for you! We have 90 with Bubba & Gump, approx 7-8 inches now whose favorite task is to move the stupid alien bubble decoration hubby had to have. They get behind the airline and push pull until it has satisfactorily been displaced to their specifications.....usually directly under the filter intake so it pushes a bunch of bubbles into the filter! Large pieces of PVC piping can be decorated with sand, gravel and plants to look more natural if you are interested in something like that.