PDA

View Full Version : Is it Ich??

Cichlid*Newbie
04-09-2008, 03:51 AM
I was just reading about fish disease...i noticed now that my zebra's have had this white spot on their tails. they both have it, my kenyiis seem fine...how do i tell if the fish is sick or needs to be treated...? Ugh...frustrating....what do I do..none seem sick or anything they're all still swimming around fine.

cocoa_pleco
04-09-2008, 03:52 AM
how are your water levels?

i would crank up the temp. to 82f for 3-5 days, if you see more white spots appear isolate them and treat for ick.

if you dont have catfish in the main tank, add aquarium salt, but if i remember right you have a syndontis in the tank

Cichlid*Newbie
04-09-2008, 03:55 AM
Argh...im glad you're here to help cocoa...!!

The ph is fine, ammonia spiked between 1.5 -2, but dumb me being a newbie prolly didn't cycle the tank properly..i know i didn't :( I seem to remeber them always having that spot, i didn't think nothing of it.

Yeah i have a catfish..damn things always hiding...lol...takes me about 5 mins to try and find him...

cocoa_pleco
04-09-2008, 03:57 AM
sounds like ick then, the ammonia probably stressed them. ick is always in the tank, but only when the fish are stressed do they get it

do some water changes on the tank to get the ammonia down, and see if the ick progresses, if it does treat them

Cichlid*Newbie
04-09-2008, 03:59 AM
should i still raise the temp? isn't it odd for them to have had it since i got them...so they were infected at the store...great!! i just added about 5 liters of water tonight because it was low...and rechecked and ammonia was still the same...1.5-2.

I have to have another small tank to treat them in?? I dont currently have one...

cocoa_pleco
04-09-2008, 04:01 AM
if you dont have another cycled tank to treat them in, add the medicines called "melafix", and "pimafix", wally land should sell them. theyre natural and safe for all fish, you add both medicines together. its safe for the catfish too

yep, you can raise the temp, it speeds the lifecycle of the ick

Cichlid*Newbie
04-09-2008, 04:03 AM
Hmm okay...ill have a look tomorrow after work, not much i can do right at this minute...bit late...anyways thanks ill post and let you know what happens...so just keep the temp up for a few days?

cocoa_pleco
04-09-2008, 04:03 AM
yep, 82f will work

AquaBANG
04-09-2008, 04:38 AM
do you have a picture of the sick fish?

Cichlid*Newbie
04-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Hmm nope i didn't take any as i just really noticed it last night, ill try and get some when i get off of work...each fish has one small dot on its tail fin..(whatever you call it)...i didn't think much of it...but i notice one of my zebras had one kinda on his side up by his gills....one on each side, exact same spot...grr i dont want my fishies to be sick..or die :(

RainMan
04-09-2008, 04:04 PM
What do the white spots look like? Ick, usually... almost always, starts at the front of the fish.. around the head and gills.

It looks like they are sugar coated.. The spots are usually raised against the surface of the fish. Picture salt or sugar on them.

First symptoms is rubbing against rocks, substrate... just about anything they can rub up against.

If your ammonia is that high... you could be seeing ammonia poisoning. Describe the spots better... use a comparison.

Dixie
04-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Is it on the fin that's underneath the fish towards the back? If so it may be just an egg spot. I was concerned about those when I first noticed them on my fish. A pic would really help though.

Cichlid*Newbie
04-09-2008, 06:14 PM
the spot on the tail fin they all have an i just assumed it was something like that since they all had it...the ammonia did go up and they haven't been rubbing or scratching on anything that i noticed i watched them a lot last night, just one red zebra has like you said almost a piece of salt on his gill on each side, thats the only place htough...the ammonia did spike to 2.0...so this may have caused it..as i posted above i have catfish though so can't add salt?...

Ill try and take a pic after work...they're a little slow moving when i checked this morning, but its was early..and they all were just moveing slowly...unlike during the day and night they're swimming chasing each other lol. Its really hard to get close up pics they move before you can snap it.

Cichlid*Newbie
04-09-2008, 06:15 PM
the spot on the tail fin they all have an i just assumed it was something like that since they all had it...the ammonia did go up and they haven't been rubbing or scratching on anything that i noticed i watched them a lot last night, just one red zebra has like you said almost a piece of salt on his gill on each side, thats the only place htough...the ammonia did spike to 2.0...so this may have caused it..as i posted above i have catfish though so can't add salt?...

Ill try and take a pic after work...they're a little slow moving when i checked this morning, but its was early..and they all were just moveing slowly...unlike during the day and night they're swimming chasing each other lol. Its really hard to get close up pics they move before you can snap it.

Oh the one one the tail isn't raised actually its just like its part of the fin...the one on the gill is hard to see if its raised...

RainMan
04-09-2008, 06:40 PM

Oh the one one the tail isn't raised actually its just like its part of the fin...the one on the gill is hard to see if its raised...

That just doesn't sound like ich to me.

By the way... your synodontis will do fine with 1tbsp of salt per 5 gallons. They are not as sensative to salt as plecos for example.

Cichlid*Newbie
04-09-2008, 06:49 PM
That just doesn't sound like ich to me.

By the way... your synodontis will do fine with 1tbsp of salt per 5 gallons. They are not as sensative to salt as plecos for example.

Oh okay...well ill post a pic after work...before i go to the extremes of buy a medication

RainMan
04-09-2008, 07:47 PM
If it's ich... it takes over pretty quick. You might see something completely different when you get home tonight. Hopefully not the case... but, knowing what it is will help to cure it.

Make sure you check your water params again. If your ammonia is really high again... do a 50% water change asap. Just don't disturb your gravel, decorations, or filter.

But, a picture will be worth while.

Cichlid*Newbie
04-09-2008, 07:53 PM
well i saw that yesterday morning or the night before....and it never changed all day yesterday...i checked his morning too nothing diff...

Ill have to also buy a vac...i haven't gotten one yet...

You keep the filter on while doing the water change..i guess as long as it doesn't go below where the water is sucked in...??

RainMan
04-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Yeah... more and more it doesn't sound like ich.

You have some time to buy a vac... you don't want to vac your tank until after your cycle is complete. but, it is definitely a must have handy tool. If you can afford the $30 bucks... buy one of those python systems. Look for the hose in a bag coiled up with green connectors and a vac.

It depends on how much water i'm changing... I can change about 10-15% before the water level drops too much. But, generally, I rinse out and inspect my filter when I do water changes. So, 9 times out 10 it gets turned off. Also, if your heater is on (if you have one)... make sure it doesn't get exposed to air while draining your tank. That can be bad too.

Cichlid*Newbie
04-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Okay well sounds like id be better turning it off for the water change...probably safer, less chance of me recking it! Lol...argh i hope they're okay when i get home...! And yes i have a heater...unplug that as well then...shouldn't bother the fish it won't take too long. When i add conditioner i just add it to bucket of fresh water before i pour it in the tank..?

Sorry im asking lots of questions, i want to do it properly..

RainMan
04-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Better to ask questions first. :)

You can add conditioner to a bucket with water. Add only conditioner for the water you are placing. For example: If you have a 5gal bucket measure out the correct amount for 5gal... not the entire tank volume. Some people add it directly to the water.... and then start adding water. But, It's best to do it in the bucket before adding water to your tank. It doesn't hurt to wait a few minutes either.... some people prep their water the night before.

One more tip... Make sure you do not fill your tank to the rim.... the surface of the water should have an inch or 2 space to the top of the hood. You can actually suffocate your fish if you don't give the water some breathing room.

goleafs
04-09-2008, 10:37 PM
When I had ich in my 75 gallon I put the temperature up to about 87F, put 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of aquarium salt in and a bit of melafix every day or 2, it was even a bit over 90F for a bit because I misread the thermometer... it was completely gone in 2 weeks and hasnt come back.

Cichlid*Newbie
04-09-2008, 10:45 PM
When I had ich in my 75 gallon I put the temperature up to about 87F, put 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of aquarium salt in and a bit of melafix every day or 2, it was even a bit over 90F for a bit because I misread the thermometer... it was completely gone in 2 weeks and hasnt come back.

Hmm well i hope that it not ich..a few memebers have said it doesn't sound like it...it hasn't changed in a day or two...just one little spot...but ill see after work...im going to do a water change anyways..and try to lower the ammonia.

Cichlid*Newbie
04-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Better to ask questions first. :)

You can add conditioner to a bucket with water. Add only conditioner for the water you are placing. For example: If you have a 5gal bucket measure out the correct amount for 5gal... not the entire tank volume. Some people add it directly to the water.... and then start adding water. But, It's best to do it in the bucket before adding water to your tank. It doesn't hurt to wait a few minutes either.... some people prep their water the night before.

One more tip... Make sure you do not fill your tank to the rim.... the surface of the water should have an inch or 2 space to the top of the hood. You can actually suffocate your fish if you don't give the water some breathing room.

so no more spots...just the one on the tail..someone said it could be an egg spot? and ammonia is still around 2..going to do water change tonight...they fish seem fine..still chasing each other right now...lol

RainMan
04-10-2008, 01:27 PM

That temp is totally unnecesary.... the life cycle of the parasite is about the same between 80 and 90... so, all you are doing is adding additional stress to your fish. If you do not have good oxygenation in your tank... you could suffocate your fish. so, I don't recommend it at all. Again... cichlids prove to be quite hardy.

so no more spots...just the one on the tail..someone said it could be an egg spot? and ammonia is still around 2..going to do water change tonight...they fish seem fine..still chasing each other right now...lol

You'll have to eventually get a pic of that spot so we can determine what it is. Just keep an eye on it... if it increases in size, changes color, or anything else.. we should assume it is not normal. Could be a wound, fungus, or infection.

Cichlid*Newbie
04-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Yeah i tried to get a pic, its so small though and they dont like when i put the camera up....

I didn't put my temp that high, its at like 80, they actually seem more active at that temp then when it was at like 78

RainMan
04-10-2008, 02:13 PM
....they actually seem more active at that temp then when it was at like 78

Yeah... I've also noticed that around 80-82. But, you should keep it a little cooler if you can. 76-78 is ideal. Raising the temp just speeds up their metabolism. It really isn't beneficial to them at all. Temp goes up... they are more active and hungry. So, you have to feed them more... then your tank has to be maintained more. Plus the cooler the water the easier it for them to absorb o2. At 80 you should definitely be running an air stone or something to agitate the surface of the water.

Cichlid*Newbie
04-10-2008, 02:45 PM
I usually turn on the aerator when i get off of work, i don't leave it on all day...so prolly for a few hours in the evening...

Anyone have a pic of Ick on their fish?? I really don't think thats what it is...but not totally sure.

RainMan
04-10-2008, 02:58 PM
I usually turn on the aerator when i get off of work, i don't leave it on all day...so prolly for a few hours in the evening...

Anyone have a pic of Ick on their fish?? I really don't think thats what it is...but not totally sure.

I did a quick google and found this pic...

This is a classic example... if not treated, the cysts become grouped more and more together and increased rubbing will occur and eventually your fish will start gasping for air and it's all down hill from there.

Cichlid*Newbie
04-10-2008, 03:05 PM
I did a quick google and found this pic...

This is a classic example... if not treated, the cysts become grouped more and more together and increased rubbing will occur and eventually your fish will start gasping for air and it's all down hill from there.

Oh wow...no my fish have nothing like that...its one tiny spot like i teeny pick of salt...even smaller...and only the one spot thats been a few days now...hmm i never did add aquarium salt last night....wasn't sure if i should if i didn't know that they were sick....

Dixie
04-10-2008, 08:38 PM
The correct amount of salt won't hurt them but I wouldn't add anything unless you start seeing more and more spot.

Dixie
04-10-2008, 08:39 PM
correction...spotS lol

Cichlid*Newbie
04-10-2008, 08:48 PM
The correct amount of salt won't hurt them but I wouldn't add anything unless you start seeing more and more spot.

Yeah, thats why i never added it...they only had one tiny one and could have been there all along i dunno..lol..hasn't changed in a couple days.