PDA

View Full Version : Determined to have custom ornaments

Sage
04-08-2008, 07:18 AM
I have rather specific artistic visions for my future aquariums, and no sort of commercially available decoration will satisfy them. So I need help with finding materials that are safe to make my own ornaments with.

Styrofoam and cement I've seen a lot for making backgrounds...could it be practical to use it for small, faux-stone ornaments too?

Are most plastics ok? I've already discovered the wonderful product of Krylon Fusion from these forums...are the other Krylon paints safe, or just specifically the Fusion?

My research has shown that clay MIGHT be safe...what do you guys think about that? Is there a sort of treatment I have to do to the clay other than firing it? If clay is safe, the only limit on my decoration possibilities would be my sculpting skills...

I saw on these forums a link to Polygem's E-Z Sculpt (http://www.polygem.com/zoo/ezsculpt.php)...but I don't see on that website anywhere how I can purchase the stuff. Is it sold anywhere common?

And how about wood? Would doll-house furniture and accessories (unpainted) made out of plain wood be safe?

angelcakes
04-08-2008, 07:19 AM
hello and welcome..........:19:

helot13
04-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Plastics have to be considered "food safe" or they will leech chemicals into the water. Cement is likely the best and safest choice for custom stuff, but you will want to check the ingredients list and know that over time cement will degrade in the water. Carving lava rock is a good choice as it is light and porous and fairly easy to work with. Wood could also work if you started with a well boiled piece of driftwood and cut pieces from that.

Lady Hobbs
04-08-2008, 04:41 PM
QuikCrete cement is the one to use. And cement dyes. Lots of curing afterwards, tho, to get the Ph back down. At least 2-3 weeks for curing.

Platics I'd say was out. It floats. Also contains toxic paints.

The best looking tank decorations are driftwood and perhaps some caves made of coconut shells. Tunnels cut from pvc pipe and stones siliconed to it also works.

helot13
04-08-2008, 04:43 PM
I forgot ceramics. Like the clay pots a lot of people use. You could fire clay into many shapes. Just don't glaze them.

Lady Hobbs
04-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Great idea but why not the glazing? That's what hardens it.

helot13
04-08-2008, 04:58 PM
You could glaze it. You just have to get the kind that is for dinnerware as some glazes are toxic. The firing hardens it enough. Clay pots are not glazed and do not dissolve in water.

Lady Hobbs
04-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the tip.

Sage
04-08-2008, 07:01 PM
I think ceramics might be my best bet then...I have access to a kiln on campus so I can fire them pretty easily.

The reason I need custom decorations is because I'm definitely not going for a "natural" look in this tank. I've had and still have aquariums that look like aquatic habitats...I'm interested in trying something different.

My goal is to turn a ten gallon tank into a little underwater church. I'm working on a background right now of faux-stone and stained glass...ideally, I'll put the tank up against a Western window and get sun streaming through the stained glass every evening.

Inside the tank I'm considering using black gravel with an undergravel filter...I've never used undergravel filters before, but I'm thinking I might try one out to avoid having the annoying intake tube of HOB filters disrupting my scene.

And then I just need a line of pews, an altar, and a crucifix. I guess I'll fashion them out of clay, fire them, leave them in the tank for a month or two, then see if they affect the pH...and select fish that'll work well in that environment. :)

Would Krylon Fusion work on clay, or is it strictly for plastics? I need some sort of safe paint for the clay...

helot13
04-08-2008, 08:02 PM
I would talk to someone at the school about the glaze. I don't know enough about the different brands to be able to tell you one way or another. As always, you could google food safe ceramic glaze and probably get a million hits.