PDA

View Full Version : Florida Gars

Adrian
04-08-2008, 02:17 AM
Man, are these some strange looking fish. There is a pond near my house, where I catch bluegill and largemouth bass. I was standing by the shore, and looked down by the grass, and here was this strange looking fish. Spots all over it, big, long, and had a really small snoat. Looking closer, I managed to identify it as a florida gar.

I was thrilled to be able to see them in the wild. I tried to catch it, but it just wasn't hungry for what I was throwing. Over the next few days, I seen several gars. I think they were spawning, as I seen a larger, presumably female, and several smaller males. They are remarkable fish, not sure what I would do with one if I did catch one.

Drumachine09
04-08-2008, 02:21 AM
Be careful. If they are anything like long nosed or alligator gar, they will have very sharp scales, and teeth the stick out even when their mouths are closed. I've had my hands torn up too many times to count by those buggers.

Wear gloves, and bring pliers, and you will be set.

Try using live frogs. Best gar bet around here. Florida might be different.

Adrian
04-08-2008, 02:33 AM
Be careful. If they are anything like long nosed or alligator gar, they will have very sharp scales, and teeth the stick out even when their mouths are closed. I've had my hands torn up too many times to count by those buggers.

Wear gloves, and bring pliers, and you will be set.

Try using live frogs. Best gar bet around here. Florida might be different.

I didn't know that their scales were sharp too. I know of their teeth, but I will be extra careful if I manage to catch one. They have excellent markings, well camoflaged with the weeds along the shore, and the fish they prey on don't even know that it is there until it is too late. They remind me of a freshwater barracuda.

garman
04-08-2008, 10:33 AM
I've got 3 of them in my 100 gallon planted tank and they're now about 10 inches long. They're very tame, by far the tamest fish I've ever had in an aquarium. They're like alligators when I feed them by hand at the top of the tank. I drop in freeze dried krill and watch my fingers, because even at this size they can draw blood with their needle sharp teeth. I like to softly grab them as they try to bite my fingers and I tease them a bit. It's fun to feel their bodies as they swim and turn and come back begging for food. They actually snap their jaws when I hold a peice of krill about an inch above the surface. I intend to move them to a 300-400 gallon planted tank before they get too big.