PDA

View Full Version : Chain Store Nightmares Sub-Forum

pinsonpa
04-07-2008, 10:01 PM
OK,

I've been on the A.C. for less than a month and I've already read AT LEAST a dozen horror stories about big chain stores (and experienced another one in person). Not just pet stores like Scamps, Petco and Petsmart, but Wal-Mart, etc. too.

I think we need to have a small corner (or water cooler if you will) to share stories of bad conditions, bad advice and/or bad fish that have been experienced in some of these places. Not so much to bash these places, but more of a place to vent.

I think it was turkey151 that was talking about being in one of these places and seeing 50+ goldfish in one tank then overhearing some bad advice that clearly lead to a customer over populating a tank.

I myself was at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago and ventured into their pet section out of curiosity (sometimes you can find deals on food, test kits, etc.). I watched a couple buying more fish (after complaining that the last two "batches" of fish died after a few days). I assumed they had a bad case of New Tank Syndrome at home and the sales clerk just said "hey, it just happens sometimes". To make matters worse, he was bagging up fish (at their request) from a grossly over-populated tank that must have had a half dozen dead fish floating in it! Sick fish getting bagged up to go home to an un-cycled tank....OMG!!!!

OK, I feel much better after talking (typing) about it. This is why we need a place to vent. It may help each of us feel better after purging ourselves of these sad (but true) stories AND it will help keep the regular threads positive:19:

Drumachine09
04-07-2008, 10:08 PM
I don't think trash talking on cruddy stores warrants its own forum. Just my opinion though.

pinsonpa
04-07-2008, 10:12 PM
I've already thought of another idea. Maybe it should be a separate thread but for now I'll just keep it in this one.

We need to have a contest to let some of the creative people in the A.C. design an Aquatic Community business card. All it needs is our current logo, the URL to the A.C. and a blank line or two at the bottom or on the back. The winning card can then be downloaded and printed by all who are interested.

Here's the best part. You keep a few cards in your wallet/purse/pocket and anytime you see or hear someone getting bad advice (or none at all) you can give them an A.C. card! You can fill in your own screen name and/or e-mail address on the blank lines so that the person will remember who referred them to this incredible resource!

If it pissed off five sales people and saved one fish it would be worth it to me.

pinsonpa
04-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Drumachine09,

Would it help if we didn't use the names of stores? :c3:

I just know that I've seen quite a bit of it out in various threads and I thought this would be an opportunity, not to "trash talk" but to vent frustration in a place where people could CHOOSE to read or not to read.

Ellen4God
04-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Aquatic Community business card.

I was actually thinking about that yesterday and decided that I was going to make such a card for my own use when I go to lfs and such. I talked with several costumers at Petsmart the other day about getting a gourami (or a couple gouramis) for their 60g. As I was walking out the door, I about kicked myself because I should've told them to come here. Even if we don't have that 'contest' or whatever, I'll post whatever I come up with.

Drumachine09
04-07-2008, 11:26 PM
Drumachine09,

Would it help if we didn't use the names of stores? :c3:

I just know that I've seen quite a bit of it out in various threads and I thought this would be an opportunity, not to "trash talk" but to vent frustration in a place where people could CHOOSE to read or not to read.

Its not bashing the business that I don't like it. I've been known to give wally world a piece of my mind and/or foot. Its just that this is a fish forum, and I doubt the usefulness of such a forum.

Still my opinion though.

Lady Hobbs
04-08-2008, 02:55 AM
One person may shop at Petsmart and have a wonderful store near them. Another one may have a horrible store. You can't blame one entire Corperation for what different managers fail to do. Some are privately owned, as well, so trashing the name will only end up hurting those that are decent.

pinsonpa
04-08-2008, 04:13 AM
All good points...I will certainly conceed that it wasn't a very good idea. There is a good positive vibe here in the A.C. and I wouldn't want to risk that.

Next time I witness something bad at ANY pet store (chain or mom & pop) I'll just go home and scream into my pillow:hmm3grin2orange:

Ellen, if you take the ball and run with the other idea (A.C. business cards) let me know once you post it. I think once others see it, they will be encouraged to design their own cards and help people find this place.:19:

William
04-09-2008, 07:26 AM
Beside, Having a trash the bif corporations forum would be a recipe for getting sued.

lbj41
04-12-2008, 02:45 AM
i dont think petsmart is a bad store. the people that work at the one near me are extremely knowledgeable. also all of the fish are looking really healthy. they have some fancy goldfish there that are huge that theyve been raising for 10 years. i think they do a good job. my only complaint is the prices of their tankss. oh and all of their mbunas look great

doug z
04-12-2008, 03:24 AM
Would it help if we didn't use the names of stores?

Kinda defeats the purpose, no?

Best course of action is to spread the word about this place as best we can, and boycott those clueless shops..

Pr0eve
04-12-2008, 04:13 AM
I know the delivery days of some of the not so good chain store around here. go on thous days and buy your fish if needed.. at lest the store will not have had the time to hurt the fish any more then what the shipping has done to them...

but like I have said before. just do not shop at the stores you find to be not up on par. I do boycott some store here were I live..

Pr0eve
04-12-2008, 04:21 AM
beside, the big box chain stores charge way to much for their "common" fish they sale, there are two mom & pop shops, fish store around were I live. their not the best that they can be,, but they are fair on pricing and I have not lost a fish that I have boughten from them, will I did have 2 die, but that is a different story. meaning, I have 2 places to go that are cheaper in price and have nicer and more of a selection of fish and some "not so common fish" to chose from.. so it is a win win fro me... :19:

boy I am tried,, long day I cant even type

NN..

Pro..