PDA

View Full Version : pearly jawfish concerns

snapdragon9
04-07-2008, 05:32 PM
I have recently got two pearly headed jawfish. The water quality is good and they are the only fish in a 30 gal. tank with some live rock. The substrate is live sand and it is deep enough for them to build a burrow.

They are just sitting on the substrate, and haven't really started constructing a burrow like the elaborate one I saw them in at the LFS. I had the lights off the whole time, (and throughout the night) and just turned them on this morning....and still not too much activity. They are eating though, this I have confirmed.

Is there an actual acclimation technique that I should try to get them to be more at home, or am I just jumping the gun and being a little nervous?

Halelorf
04-07-2008, 05:35 PM
I think you are jumping the gun. Give them time to get a feel for the new space. As long as they are eating it should be ok.

Tooch
04-07-2008, 05:36 PM
There isn't much you can do at this point. Just leave the lights off for a little while to allow them to get acclimated, and they'll be busy before too long! As long as they are eating, they'll be fine.

snapdragon9
04-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Well, two days have gone by; and not much progress. They still haven't built a burrow, and they don't look too good. One jumped out of the tank, even though I thought I had that part of it covered, (they just aren't happy at all) even though they have plenty of hiding spaces and a thick substrate.

My water parameters are fine, and this tank has been set up and cycled for two months now. Just plain frustrated I guess.

helot13
04-08-2008, 05:46 PM
* pH : 8.1 - 8.4
* Temperature : 72F - 82F
* Specific Gravity : 1.021 - 1.025
* Carbonate Hardness (dKH) : 8 - 12

I don't consider them to be very active fish. They make a burrow and hide in it until they are needing to feed or breed. If they are not building burrows, then there is something awry with your substrate. You have a 30 gallon tank, but how much area is the bottom of the tank? How deep is your substrate? Do you have any other fish in the tank?

snapdragon9
04-09-2008, 04:38 AM
The second one just died this afternoon. The substrate varies from 3-4 inches deep. I guess i'll just try again, I actually tested my water today and the pH was a little to high I think, i can't understand how the pH got all the way up to 8.8!! I have caribsea live sand, and I know that keeps a constant high pH...

But what exactly is water hardness, and how do you test for that? What role does it play in the aquarium, (does it differ from FW to SW?) and what regulates it naturally, and how can I manipulate it to my liking?

helot13
04-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Water Hardness is the amount of minerals dissolved in the water. General hardness is primarily the measure of calcium (Ca++) and magnesium (Mg++) ions in the water. Carbonate hardness (KH) is the measure of bicarbonate (HCO3-) and carbonate (CO3--) ions in the water.

You can buy test kits or go to a marine aquarium shop and ask them to test your water. Check you specific Gravity too. Thats the amount of salt in the water.

These elements come from the decay of organisms and from the rocks and plants. You can suppliment your tank with chemicals. Some minerals are good and some are bad, which is why you need a skimmer or even sometimes a softener depending on what your water has naturally.

Unfortunately Saltwater Aquariums require a lot of attention and dedication. Don't get discouraged, the work is definitely worth it once you get the kinks worked out.