PDA

View Full Version : Does the kind of food really matter?

killaklown
10-30-2005, 10:03 PM
We always buy the cheapest fish food, and the fish usually last a long time (right now we have some shark, its black with a red tail) and he has lasted for about 3-4 years (ever sence we started with the aquariam again)

So does the food really matter?

aquafreak
10-31-2005, 05:19 AM
A number of fish will survive on cheap flake food such as your red tailed shark, which isn't a shark at all. I believe I saw an article about that somewhere in the articles section. There is however a number of fish that wouldn't even consider eating flake food.

The question is if you want your fish to survive or to thrive. If you want your fish to thrive and breed you will have to give them a better diet with more variation. (Some fish will breed on flake food put the majority won’t)

William
10-31-2005, 05:32 AM
You’re right. There is an article about different so called freshwater sharks in the articles section. Well several actually but I think aquafreak referred to this one.

Types of freshwater sharks (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/universal-viewid236.html)

soul
10-31-2005, 10:42 PM
how isnt it a shark? i am 99% sure it was called a red-tail sharked at the store...

oh well doesnt matter ;)

aquafreak
11-02-2005, 04:57 AM
You are right that they called it a red tailed shark in the store but it still isn't a shark, they are just incorrectly called sharks. Just like playboy bunnies are called bunnies without actually being bunnies 8-)

Read the article and you understand.

soul
11-02-2005, 10:41 PM
alright, to me, the fish looks more like a catfish (well the head anyways) then a shark :)

aquafreak
11-02-2005, 11:23 PM
More like a barb, but yes they don't really look like sharks.

William
11-04-2005, 02:55 AM
I can add that most freshwater sharks aren't suitable to be aquarium fish since they grow to large for most aquariums.

soul
11-06-2005, 01:45 AM
are's stayed the same size (about 3-4 inches long) and hasnt grown for about 6 months, so i think its as big as he will be. He doesnt bother the other fish, sometimes he will chase them away and then go back to what he was doing.

AKI
01-03-2006, 03:18 PM
i got silver shark, i love this kind of shark fish they are just friendly great and active, but many articles say that they grow too large for some aquariums. but the articles i read on the net indicate that they grow slowly and need ten years to mature so i dont really care i got a big tank any way 100 liters with only few fish.
so my sharks got lots of space to swim but food is really important for such fish as they need a variey in their diet and cannot only eat flake food.

Full3R
01-16-2006, 10:59 PM
man how good would it be if u could get like a really big inground pool and have it heated and keep like a full skool of sharks oscars and other fish in it thatd be neat...i might try that some day

Anyway i just wanted to add to AKI's comment about the silver sharks and commend them for being such a great community fish back in the day when i kept two silver sharks of about 7" each they were practically harmlous in my tank, only getting into a tusle with fish that started on them first but otherwise one of THE best tropical fish you can buy

Hoo roo from Aus

nick_cave
01-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Some years ago i reed an article published by the University of Hawaii, they were trying a comparison study on diferent kinds of comercialy avaiable foods, their main objective was to compare ornamental food offer with more price advantageus fish farms foods. They concluded that the price had not direct impact in the quality of food (ornamental avaiable foods were 5 -10 times more expensive). And fish farm foods achieve better results in terms of growth, and life span. Altough some color enhancement complements must be added for some species.

In further studys, the focus was on paleatibility (thats to say the perception of tast, by the fish - i dont know if i write it right, but it sound it like that). The conclusion was not so evident, but some fish have clear tendencies to some tipes of food, (just as us, humans).

Jamieross1978
10-06-2006, 01:18 PM
I have a great white in my tank... is this a real shark? Im sure it is as he had my girlfriends arm off. Hes in a 5ft vision 450, although he weighs around 8 tonne i think hes happy in my tank. He doesnt seem to move much though?

I had an (RTBS) Red Tailed Black Shark, he was a lovely fish, although he got a bit big and started getting a bit 'larey' and after a couple of dry slaps he remained a big bully so i shipped him off to my LFS for some psycho therapy. Hope hes ok. I have an albino one and hes fine... massive at 12 foot but hes cool.

Lady Hobbs
10-06-2006, 03:17 PM
I have two bala sharks (also not real sharks) and they are probably 5 inches. I'm thinking these may have to find another home, as well. Right now they are just fine but having two of these in a 55 gallon tank will be pushing it. They'd probably be fine if they were alone but I have the others to think about as well.

Lady Hobbs
10-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Full3R, I recently heard of a man who built a cement fish tank in his back yard and has it full of sharks and other fish. These fish farms have cement tanks so why can't you? He had pumps like you'd use for pumping water to your home.

Severus
10-06-2006, 04:27 PM
I would think biulding a cement tank would'nt be hard at all. Some quickrete and a mold. It would be pretty cool too

Lady Hobbs
10-08-2006, 03:03 AM
We always buy the cheapest fish food, and the fish usually last a long time (right now we have some shark, its black with a red tail) and he has lasted for about 3-4 years (ever sence we started with the aquariam again)

So does the food really matter?
I guess we got off the beaten path with this one. You were asking about food originally. I would think a good fish food would be more beneficial to the growth and health of your fish than just whatever is cheap. Some food has vitamins and nutriants and some are just fillers. A variety in their diet is also essential such as algae waffers, blood worms, shrimp, veggies, etc. Not all fish eat all that stuff but I think most tropicals do.

freshwaterfishlover
10-29-2006, 02:39 AM
Yes the food you feed some fish do matter. I have 4 small angel fish in a 10 gallon tank. I first tried to feed them fish gran food and they did not eat it. I have to feed them Briime shrip Flakes I had.

jeffs99dime
10-29-2006, 05:21 AM
just to add to that, you have to feed them a varied diet as well. if you do, yo will find that your fish will be heathier, happier, and colorful. just think about this: if you ate the same exact thing day in and day out, wouldn't you get bored? it's really no difference-just my opinion though.--jeff