PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish

BillyVille
04-07-2008, 04:40 AM
Anyone know anything about goldfish? What some goldfish that dont get very big? Like that I could keep in a smaller tank?

cocoa_pleco
04-07-2008, 04:41 AM
rule is 20g for the first goldfish, 10g for each other

feeder comets get large, some fancys stay smaller

BillyVille
04-07-2008, 04:52 AM
The reason I ask is because I was wanting to get a black moore for my 29g grow out tank that has angels, clown loaches, tetras, and rams in? I know they saw not to mix these with freshwater fish in tanks, but I know alot of people that do it with no problems?

Dsoto87
04-07-2008, 04:59 AM
Even though goldfish grow large....it take times......as in years....especially the fancy type. The reason why they say not to put goldfish in with tropical fish is because the heating requirements

travie
04-07-2008, 04:59 AM
You will be mildly stressing out either the tropicals or the coldwater fish if you put them in the same tank. If you plan to do this make sure all the fish have overlapping temperature ranges.

BillyVille
04-07-2008, 05:00 AM
well lets say my water got to 80 degrees, how long would a gold fish live?

sailor
04-07-2008, 05:27 AM
Gold fish are a cold water species 80 degrees is way to hot for them. You don't want to put a heater in with goldfish. They should be in a species only tank, another thing is you should not mix the fancier gold fish with comets(common feeders) The comets swim much faster than the fancy goldfish as the fancy goldfish have the split tails and have a harder time competing for the food.

Rue
04-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Yes, it's not a good idea at all...

angelcakes
04-07-2008, 03:23 PM
black moors can also get big and you need a lower temp,prone to ich,also watch ornaments due to the telescopic eyes,and yes ive had black moors with fw fish and no problems but important factor is temp.and a goldfish can live kept healthy for up to 40 years :19:

siymdapolio
04-07-2008, 04:06 PM
I would not adivce it but it can be done. If you are going to do it I would go with what travie said make sure the temp ranges are overlapping eacother and not stressing just one species but spreading it over everybody.... sounds harsh but makes everyone much happier and you too!

BillyVille
04-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Whats a good temp to keep it at?

Halelorf
04-08-2008, 05:19 AM
Double tailed fancy varieties of goldfish can be put at slightly higher temperatures than the single tailed comets and sarasa. It's usually just the preferrence of the aquarist but around 75F would be ok for fancys. What you really want for the goldfish is a gradual temperature change for seasons. They like a slow cooling period in the late fall and into the winter. This is what gets them to breed with the spring thaw. If you have them in a pond make sure not to feed them anything once the temperature gets below about 50F as they can't digest foods at low temperatures. As far as a small goldfish, there really arn't any. The fancy ones are the smallest in length growing usually about 10" or so however they have huge gurth. So the single tailed can get over a foot in terms of bioload both single and double tailed are about the same. Hope that helped!

relsoft
04-08-2008, 12:56 PM
I've kept goldfish for years in a tropical country with no problems (no temperature control). However the goldfish I keep are bred here(Philippines) and not imported. So if you want to put your goldies with another tropical species, you would want to import the goldie from the tropics.