PDA

View Full Version : Tank is Cycled - Help with Filter Maint.???

Cichlid_Man
11-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Hi all!
I wasn't sure if I should post this under technical, but I guess it sort of is?

I first started my 75g aquarium on 10/16/06, and the cycle was fully completed by 11/01/06.
Thanks to everyone here, I had no fish loss or stress...!!

I now have a question regarding my filter maintenance.

I have not touched it yet because I didn't want to mess up the cycle.
It's a Fluval 405. I used what they gave me for filter media because I didn't want to waste the stuff, but I am going to just keep ceramic rings and glass wool in there.
OK, right now there are 4 compartments of carbon which I am going to toss.
There are 2 compartments of Bio-Max which I am also going to toss, but only one compartment at a time. The Bio-Max and carbon will be replaced with ceramic rings and glass wool eventually.

So, when should I do this? Is it too soon for filter cleaning since it just cycled?
Also, do you think ceramic rings and glass wool are enough to keep things "happy" as far as a good, healthy tank?

P.S. I already have some ceramic rings in there and those I will never touch.

Thanks for your advice!
BTW-The fiter instructions say to change the Bio-Max after 3 months...should I leave that in...
Knowing my setup, what would you do?

Fishguy2727
11-04-2006, 02:03 PM
I setup my Fluval 405 last night for my 40 as follows: Bottom 2 trays: packed with as much filter floss as I can fit in there (allows for very fine mechanical filtration, and the top 2 trays I have filled with Biomax. I never replace the Biomax. At most if there is build up on the media I will rinse it off with about tank temperature water because otherwise that build up will cut off the oxygen to the nitrifying bacteria. Why do you want to ditch the Biomax? What do you mean by ceramic rings? What do you mean by glass wool? I would stick with the Biomax because it is made to have the highest porosity for surface area for the nitrifying bacteria. So in general I would replace the carbon with Biomax or filter floss, but not remove the Biomax. Are the ceramic rings you are using made to be used as aquarium biological media? What fish do you have? What is your water change schedule? Remember that whatever a filter claims it can handle "up to", cut that in half and that is about what it can actually handle. So you really only have 50 gallons of filtration on that 75 right now. I bet it looks fine, but better is always better. You will not have too much filtration and a little extra will make a difference in the water quality which obviously helps the fish. Everyone always says something about how clean my tanks are, even the 75 with the 14-15" jaguar cichlid tank. They are clean because I overfilter and do big frequent water changes. And more filtration means a more stable biological filtration for when you clean one of them.

Cichlid_Man
11-04-2006, 02:30 PM
I setup my Fluval 405 last night for my 40 as follows: Bottom 2 trays: packed with as much filter floss as I can fit in there (allows for very fine mechanical filtration, and the top 2 trays I have filled with Biomax. I never replace the Biomax. At most if there is build up on the media I will rinse it off with about tank temperature water because otherwise that build up will cut off the oxygen to the nitrifying bacteria. Why do you want to ditch the Biomax? What do you mean by ceramic rings? What do you mean by glass wool? I would stick with the Biomax because it is made to have the highest porosity for surface area for the nitrifying bacteria. So in general I would replace the carbon with Biomax or filter floss, but not remove the Biomax. Are the ceramic rings you are using made to be used as aquarium biological media? What fish do you have? What is your water change schedule? Remember that whatever a filter claims it can handle "up to", cut that in half and that is about what it can actually handle. So you really only have 50 gallons of filtration on that 75 right now. I bet it looks fine, but better is always better. You will not have too much filtration and a little extra will make a difference in the water quality which obviously helps the fish. Everyone always says something about how clean my tanks are, even the 75 with the 14-15" jaguar cichlid tank. They are clean because I overfilter and do big frequent water changes. And more filtration means a more stable biological filtration for when you clean one of them.

OK,
Glass wool is filter floss, just and old name for it...sorry about that
Ceramic rings are basically the same as bio-max but bio-max is more expensive. Since you say never to change it, then I will leave that. I thought bio-max had some sort of ammonia removing stuff or something. Basically, it is just like the rings. I like to keep things natural. No carbon or ammo chips...
Next...I have 12 African Cichlids.
My water change schedule is roughly 30 - 40% every week.

So, is it safe to do a filter maintenance now since it just cycled??
I would like to add more floss as you say sas my tank is not as crystal clear as I would like it

Lady Hobbs
11-04-2006, 10:13 PM
I want to know if that tank was cycled by Wed ! I want to know if I won my bet. :)

kimmers318
11-05-2006, 12:27 AM
He said it was cycled by 11-01-06...so it sounds like you won the bet Hobbs :) Don't know what the bet was since I missed so much with Dad in the hospital this past week.
Cichlid man...any changes that you decide to do with your filter media are always best to be made slowly, clean with tank water, and my personal recommendation, on days other than water changes. If you use tank water that you siphon out you are not risking any chlorine that might be in tap water killing good bacteria. You are correct in worrying that since this is a newly cyled tank it probably will be a little touchier and prone to issues if you do too much too fast. If you want to remove anything permanently, do so in small increments, on days other than water changes which assures you "mess" with the good stuff as little as possible. I have completely changed a tank from gravel to sand this way with no problem. As for whether your filter will be good enough, watch and see. Not to argue with you reptileguy....most people do recommend considering a filter only able to filter half of what the manufacturer recommends, but I have had good success with following the manufacturer recommendations on most of my tanks. Our 75 has around 17 mbuna, plus a couple juvenile and fry demasoni, with a fluval 403 and it is fine. The water is always crystal clear even when he hasn't been quite perfect with his water changes. I periodically check his parameters, never a problem. Before you run out and add another filter, keep any eye on things, you are quickly learning alot, and I have faith that you will be able to spot a problem early.

Cichlid_Man
11-05-2006, 12:42 AM
First I will say ~~~~YES HOBBS!!!! YOU WIN _ TANK CYCLED WEDNESDAY!!!
Now what do I owe you :-)

Kimmer...
Thanks for your continued support!

I did a filter cleaning today and used only tank water to do so.
I removed all carbon because I don't believe in it.

I left the ceramic rings and bio-max in there and also added as much filter floss as I could stuff into the compartments.
After about 2 hours, the water became so clear, it almost hurt to look at it:-)
I made sure not to change all filter media at once.

Tomorrow is my scheduled water change.
Maybe I'll do 15 gallons out of the 75. I have 12 Mbuna but still rather small.

Thanks again!

Fishguy2727
11-05-2006, 01:41 AM
Sounds great, but (especially cichlids) the overfiltration method should be followed. It definitely won't hurt and it will help keep things extra clean without learning you need to the hard way. They also enjoy a strong current, so tons of filtration and strong powerheads just for the flow are enjoyed by the mbunas.

kimmers318
11-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Maybe it is "Shrekie" that helps to keep our tank extra clean. He is the bristlenose pleco I got hubby for Fathers Day who is growing like a weed in there...much faster than mine in my 30 gal. Of course, I think his is male, and mine is female so that may have something to do with it. Hubby originally wanted syn. multipunctatus (SP?) but we could only find them at a cost of about $60 and I wasn't able to stomach that at the time. Bristlenose around here are still ridiculous at $18 unless you luck into finding one at a chain store and they don't know what it is! Petsuppliesplus recently had 1 reg. bristlie (I have albinos) and was selling them for like $2.99....I would have snatched it if I had the room, and he didn't stick around for more than 24 hours! Unfortunately for me, with Dad being so sick I am leaving my tanks understocked in case I have to "stretch" my tank changes. It sucks, but last week I was at the hospital from Sunday night to Monday night...and 6:30 am til 8pm Tues-Fri. Dad gets so agitated when they have to medicate him that I have to be around to calm him down when things are bad.

Cichlid_Man
11-05-2006, 12:58 PM
I have to admit,
I like a bit of over filtration too.
My 30g is set up with an Aqua-Clear made for 75 gallons!

The water is awesome and the fish love to "play" in the currents.

The Fluval 405 is really doing the trick in my 75g.

I think it pumps over 300g an hour??
I am happy with it.

Kimmer, I hope things get better for you and your dad and family.
I remember when both my mom and dad were sick, my life nearly just stopped for a while.

I put down my guitars, stopped all social life and things like that.
I figure, they were there for me all those years, so I would be there for them.

Thanks for all of your help! BTW - I cannot get a bristlenose here. I want one. I may have to get it shipped but I don't trust that.