PDA

View Full Version : hello, brand new to any forums, sure need

geelees
11-03-2006, 07:59 AM
need some advise. I have hex flat back 27 gallon fresh water tank, that was in a house fire last Christmas..All contents of house 100 percent loss, amazingly enough, the tank was still holding water, although i did loose all fish (some as old as 8 years). Powerhead, biowheel, thermostat, etc all seem in okay condition (but least of my worries). The tank is old (oceanic), the stand is good condition w/some sanding and restaining. Question, I have never reseam or re-sealed (and it needed it before the fire), the trim is burnt, what is opinion of the glass if I try and save my aquarium, as the heat was tremendous, and as i mentioned earlier, was totally shocked the aquarium was standing and holding water....
I've been shopping new, but the finances are just won't allow for the luxury right now. Has anyone or does anyone think someone such as I (who is not crafty and does not know where to begin, is this tank worth the effort? It's just the right size for my tastes and hobby as I was raising Angels, and love the ghostknife and did well with them.
Thank you for your time and understanding...if I knew how to attach a pic i would as I do have one..

glenda

Lady Hobbs
11-03-2006, 10:28 AM
I would think the heat would have wrecked all the silicone seals and all would have to be recemented. I don't know if a glass company in your area could do this or if you could with good results. It really isn't all that much to get a new tank and may end up being cheaper in the long run.

kimmers318
11-03-2006, 12:48 PM
You might be able to contact the manufacturer for help...some of the better companies can offer replacement trim and would be willing to offer advice on sealant and such. Sorry to hear something like that happened....I hope noone in your family was injured.

paulie
11-03-2006, 01:23 PM
hi glenda Im knew here but i do have a 27 gallon hex tank which was given to me. And all the seals on the tank leaked so i went to the fish store and they gave me the sealent for the tank and i did one coner at a time and it worked perfect and was well worth fixing u also can order new trim for it threw most fish store's. well i wish u good luck and hope every one was ok and safe
paulie

minabird
11-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss of your house. As for your tank, if it wasn't leaking any water after the fire, the seals are probably ok. You might want to fill it up with water and check for leaks just to make sure the seals haven't developed any cracks since then. As for the trim, you could probably make the bottom trim with some molding, and for the top trim you cane make an inexpensive canopy.