PDA

View Full Version : backgrounds for tanks??

rocklobster
04-05-2008, 11:19 PM
I want to do something cool for a tank background and i was wondering what other people have just so i can get some ideas.
I just read a thread about cement and styrafoam backgrounds would you put something like that on the inside of your tank?
lol i am new at all this.

sailor
04-05-2008, 11:52 PM
Google DIY aqarium backgrounds and you have lots to read.

rocklobster
04-05-2008, 11:54 PM
lol yeah i guess that would be a start.

PUNISHER VETTE
04-06-2008, 12:14 AM
i just used some construction paper on my old tank......

Lady Hobbs
04-06-2008, 12:44 AM
I've seen slate siliconed to the back as well. Looks neat but must make the tank very heavy.

Ellen4God
04-06-2008, 01:08 AM
Just today, I put regular printing paper on the back of my betta tank. lol I reckon it depends on what you're wanting!! I would definitely google it though. Some people get pretty creative!!

Somebody here (I can't remember who - sorry!!) has her son's water color painting as the background on one of her tanks. I think this is one of the most precious ideas ever!

Halelorf
04-06-2008, 03:30 AM
I always go to a office supply store near where I work and get rolls of really cheap craft paper. Usually I get either black or blue colored paper so it makes fish colors really "pop" out at you. Just tape it to the back, $2 and 3 minutes of work to make it look good!

Drumachine09
04-06-2008, 03:31 AM
I use satin black spray paint, and spray the back off the tank.

cocoa_pleco
04-06-2008, 05:18 AM
i tried using those thin square foam sheets from dollar stores a couple of years ago, i bought about 10 for my 15g, and taped them together from the back, not permanent and works awesome

Billythefish
04-06-2008, 05:52 AM
I have used fabric and coloured bin liners cut to size and a little tape, it looks real good and you can change em when you want!, and ive seen a tank in a frends house with a oil painting on the glass!

smcurry83
04-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Until I get a lava rock wall built, I just stuck some black poster-board on the back of the tank. The black really makes the colors on the fish stand out!

I'm going to be making a wall out of various pvc and lava rock. I actually just talked to some friends in hawaii yesterday and they're going to mail me some large pieces of lava rock. (a lot cheaper and larger than at the lfs)

Googles probably the best idea as far as getting ideas...

LosC
04-30-2008, 06:59 PM
I got some 5% car window tint lying around, will that be good for a background?

xoolooxunny
04-30-2008, 08:03 PM
How about a mirror?

invadertoast
04-30-2008, 08:50 PM
I thought about building my own foam wall but got too intimidated... I ordered a Habi-Scape fake rock wall from a reptile supply place and cut it to fit my tank.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/invadertoast/IMG_1340.jpg

LosC
04-30-2008, 09:42 PM
^ That looks great, I'll be looking around reptile stores now. I don't know about a mirrored back wall, I'd hgave to see sombodys, I think it would look weird doubles of everrything.

invadertoast
04-30-2008, 11:01 PM
^ That looks great, I'll be looking around reptile stores now. I don't know about a mirrored back wall, I'd hgave to see sombodys, I think it would look weird doubles of everrything.

I've actually only seen these at reptile expos, never in a store. I bought it from herpsupplies.com. There was a slight problem as I ordered a 40 breeder size (to trim down, there's no 29 gal size) and the place they order them from didn't have any in stock and had to make me one. They never told the place I ordered it from so for a couple weeks we were both wondering what happened! Anyhow, it came and it was only about 30 bucks and I'm happy!

invadertoast
04-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Oh! And about mirrored backs - My mom used to have a 20 gallon hex with three sides mirrored and it looked awesome! It made the tank look bigger and more filled out, I've never seen another one like it.

xoolooxunny
04-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Oh! And about mirrored backs - My mom used to have a 20 gallon hex with three sides mirrored and it looked awesome! It made the tank look bigger and more filled out, I've never seen another one like it.

My buddy who actually got me into fish keeping used to have his 75g fully mirrored on the back, it was the coolest background to have on a caved/tunneled cichlid tank!

cubequeen
05-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Right now I a have a false wall at the back of my 30-gal cube, inside the tank, that is thin, gray PVC sheet that's perfed (full of little round holes). The filter equipment and heater is behind it. Not too attractive, but not that bad either. Unfortunately, this stuff only comes in a dull gray. My original plan was to cover it with dark gray sponge filter material, but that didn't work out too well. It was hard to keep attached, and fish would sometimes find their way between the PVC and the sponge, so I had to remove the sponge. I would like to keep the false wall idea but have something a little more attractive, and it would have to let water flow through. I'm still thinking. The two possibilities I am considering are: 1) Go back to the sponge idea but use a thinner sheet (speaker sponge sheets) and have it wrap completely around the PVC sheet so it stays on better or 2) Get 1/4˝ expanded PVC sheet, which comes in various colors (I would use black) and drill holes in it myself. I would drill the holes at a steep angle so that when looking at it straight on, you would not be able to see through the holes.