PDA

View Full Version : Hexagon ghost shrimp tank prep.

Tigerbarb
04-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Well, I have this old 1.75g plastic hexagonal tank laying around, and I wanted to house ghost shrimp in it. I was thinking I would add some sand, a small chunk of driftwood, and a few small plants for decor today.

My main question is this: Once I get my decor in the tank, and when the tank is all setup, can I add ghost shrimp immediately, or must the tank cycle?

Also, is water oxygenation/filtration a must for a few shrimp?
I don't want to buy another filter unless I really need to. Also, I would need to get another filter, air pump, and tubing if I were to filter the tank.

For lighting, the tank is sitting right next to my 10g, and it currently has no lid, so the tank is pretty well lit-up.

cocoa_pleco
04-05-2008, 09:34 PM
i would get a filter, or at least a air stone. you can add shrimp right away because they produce little bioload and the plants will take in the little ammonia they produce

Tigerbarb
04-06-2008, 02:45 AM
I bought a small piece of driftwood that was already in a tank at Petco, so the algae/fish waste on it should help add bacteria to the tank.
My main problem now, is sand. I was looking at Petco for sand, and all I found were live sand, and reptile/hermit crab sand. A definit nono to live sand of course, but as for the repti-sand, I think it could cloud the tank water. It said nothing about aquariums, so I might go look at my lfs for some sand.

This is mainly for mods, but could someone please move this thread to the general aquarium forum? I think more members will notice this thread there.