PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Saltwater Fish: Some Do's and Don'ts

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-05-2008, 03:37 PM
There are some fish in the marine hobby that simply should not be kept and there are others that are great for the beginner. Determining which ones you should start with can be somewhat difficult. What is a good one and what is a bad one. Hopefully this will help clear things up.

Probably the easiest and best beginner fish for the aspiring marine hobbyist is the Ocellaris Clownfish. They are great little fish and are suitable for tanks 10gal or larger. If being kept in a 10gal then only one should be kept however if 2 are to be kept then a 20gal is the minimum. The misconception that seems to exist about these fish is that they need an anemone, and this is just not the case. The symbiotic relationship between an clown and an anemone is certainly a fascinating one but is not an essential one for survival of either one.

Chromis are another great choice for beginners however there are some very important things to understand about them. Chromis that are under an inch in length are still juveniles. Juvenile Chromis have a very high demand for food and thus should be fed 3 times a day. A group of 6 juvenile Chromis will consume an entire cube of Mysis shrimp by themselves and they will do it 3 times a day. An equivalent amount of food should be provided for them.

For something a little more on the aggressive side, any of the Grammas make a great choice. The Royal Gramma is probably one of the most popular of these. They make a beautiful addition to almost any reef tank. For the beginner, Grammas need to be kept as single specimens, only the more advanced marine hobbyist should attempt to keep more than one in a large system.

There are also a number of Wrasses available in the hobby and many of them do make great beginner fish. They key to owning any wrasse is to be sure to leave no room for them to jump out. Wrasses are prolific jumpers and are notorious for jumping out of tanks.

Many people want to get into keeping a predator tank or some of the larger fish right off the bat, however none of the predators are really good beginner fish and most of the larger fish are not either. Lionfish and Moray's are not really good beginner fish at all. None of the large angels make good beginner fish at all, and this is mainly because of their tank size requirements. Not one member of the Pomacanthus genus should be kept in a tank under 180gal. A 180gal marine tank is a very large investment to make and making that large of in investment is probably not a great idea for the beginner, couple that with the fact that most of the large angels need to be converted to feeding on aquarium prepared foods. In the wild they are primarily sponge eaters and need to be transitioned to aquarium foods.

Puffers, and predators are high bioload fish and thus they create a lot more work for the hobbyist. Weekly %30 water changes are a necessity for such large waste producers. Again, probably not such a great idea for the beginner marine hobbyist.

In general, the beginning marine hobbyist should seek fish that adapt quickly and well to aquarium life. Be sure to choose ones that will be somewhat forgiving of a missed water change and also ones that are not picky eaters with very specific diets. For the beginner that eliminates some of the more popular fish in the hobby (ie, Mandarins and all tangs but the Yellow) but not to worry, in a short time enough can be learned so that these other fish can be kept.

cocoa_pleco
04-05-2008, 05:00 PM
really good post, deserves a sticky

damsels are good starter fish too, but theyre aggressive, only in large tanks can you put more than 1 in. i have one in my 55g, a 3-stripe, and he minds his own business

to be honest with the chromis, i think my 3 died from underfeeding, i had no idea they ate that much

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-05-2008, 05:19 PM
I didn't include Damsels because of their aggressive nature. In nature it is not unusual for a yellow tail damsel to defend it's territory against such fish as French Angels. Due to that very aggressive nature they need to be handled properly in a community situation. For those reasons I didn't include them. However if the beginner is going to try his/her hand at a small tank (less than 20gals) then they would be fine. However, with that said, I don't recommend a beginner start with anything smaller than a 55gal for their first marine tank.

jbeining75
04-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Good post up GB....

Halelorf
04-05-2008, 06:29 PM
You should include any of the dragonet fish as don'ts for begineers also.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-05-2008, 06:33 PM
For the beginner that eliminates some of the more popular fish in the hobby (ie, Mandarins and all tangs but the Yellow)

I sort of did, I just didn't go into detail on them. Probably could add them in detail though. Thanks.

Halelorf
04-05-2008, 06:35 PM
I sort of did, I just didn't go into detail on them. Probably could add them in detail though. Thanks.

oops didn't see that part! :11:

Tolley
04-06-2008, 12:08 AM
Good info!!!!

Drumachine09
04-06-2008, 12:20 AM
My addition:

Don't for any reason, refer to a clown fish as a "nemo".

Whenever I hear people do that, I either write them off as an idiot, or a child. Can't STAND it.

Tolley
04-06-2008, 12:20 AM
but we all wuv nemo fish!!!

Halelorf
04-06-2008, 02:03 AM
My addition:

Don't for any reason, refer to a clown fish as a "nemo".

Whenever I hear people do that, I either write them off as an idiot, or a child. Can't STAND it.

Hahaha. I was in the LFS the other day when this annoying lady kept trailing me while I was browsing corals. Every other sentence from her was, "oooo a nemo!!!" I was just standing there going, "false percula...true percula...tomato...maroon...clarkii...." Atleast she was open to learn about them though. :hmm3grin2orange:

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-06-2008, 02:13 AM
My 2 year old looks at the Clowns and calls them Nemo to which I always reply "What kind of fish is Nemo?" She never misses either. :) Smart little cookie, she's got almost all the species in the Reef down along with a number of FW fish. :) She seems to love the Shrimp for some reason.

It's really funny because I'll walk into Petsmart sometimes and I'll here these people talking to each other looking for the Bettas. All the bettas in my local Petsmart are in filtered holding boxes along the middle row of tanks, right in front of their eyes. So I walk in with my barely 2 year old daughter who gets all excited, points and yells "Betta!!!" It usually draws some sheepish embarassed looks. I love it. I know all the employees there because I used to work there and they think it's hilarious. My 2 year old knows more fish names than half the customers that walk in there.

cocoa_pleco
04-06-2008, 04:45 AM
My 2 year old looks at the Clowns and calls them Nemo to which I always reply "What kind of fish is Nemo?" She never misses either. :) Smart little cookie, she's got almost all the species in the Reef down along with a number of FW fish. :) She seems to love the Shrimp for some reason.

It's really funny because I'll walk into Petsmart sometimes and I'll here these people talking to each other looking for the Bettas. All the bettas in my local Petsmart are in filtered holding boxes along the middle row of tanks, right in front of their eyes. So I walk in with my barely 2 year old daughter who gets all excited, points and yells "Betta!!!" It usually draws some sheepish embarassed looks. I love it. I know all the employees there because I used to work there and they think it's hilarious. My 2 year old knows more fish names than half the customers that walk in there.

man your kid is lucky! all my parents raised me on were bettas and goldfish, i was 11 when i kept other fish, and i had to learn everything myself

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-06-2008, 04:48 AM
Hey, I figure if I'm gonna keep them around, I'm going to educate my kids with them. There is so much for them to learn just in these small tanks.

Ellen4God
04-06-2008, 04:56 AM
She seems to love the Shrimp for some reason.

I've told my nephew time after time that I have shrimp - and yet he still comes to the tank, points at a shrimp and says, "Aunt Ellen!! I see one of your crabs!!!" lol

cocoa_pleco
04-06-2008, 04:59 AM
my first nanoreef was a bomb, one LFS told me to not do a nanoreef because i would need $1000 in chemicals alone, and 2 hours later another LFS said get some sea salt and im set

needless to say, i had a 10g, with 4 damsels, 1 tank raised clownfish, 1 purple starfish, 1 condy anemone, 3lbs LR, 1 sea urchin, and 1 xenia coral, with 30w of incandescent lighting

surprisingly all went well for a bit, however i didnt know how to read a hydrometer and had WAAAY too much salt in the tank, and i didnt know how to drip acclimate so my poor starfish got some disease where his head rotted away. The condy lived for 2 months, until eventually i came home to everything dead but the sea urchin and the condy, and the condy was closed up, i gave them away.

the xenia coral died within 5 minutes of being in my tank, i didnt even know reefs need flow. this was about 8 years ago and when my starfish was sick i found out that there are even fish forums so i had no idea what i was doing

at least this time around things are going good

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-06-2008, 05:02 AM
Amazing what a little knowledge will do for ya. LOL

Drumachine09
04-06-2008, 05:05 AM
Every time I go to a LFS with clowns, I am plauged with people bringing their kids screaming "NEEEEEMMMMOOOOO!".

It also gets my goat when they call a yellow tailed damsel Dory.

I can't remember who said it, but someone said that "Finding Nemo" was the single most detrimental thing to the aquarium keeping hobby. I agree 100%.

cocoa_pleco
04-06-2008, 05:08 AM
one time when i was looking at clownfish, i asked the guy how much it was and he said "the nemo? ten bucks". almost slapped him

calling a clownfish nemo is like calling a mouse mickey, you dont go saying "how much for the mickey?"

ILuvMyGoldBarb
Yes it was.

Wow, some people just don't get the whole size perspective thing do they. Yellow Tail Damsels??? Dory??? Yikes. How do you mistake a Blue Hippo Tang for a Yellow Tail Damsel??? I guess it's not too hard when you're not around the hobby that much.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
"how much for the mickey?" Isn't that something you ask the bartender for???

cocoa_pleco
04-06-2008, 05:09 AM
lol, who wants drug laced drinks!!!!!!

Drumachine09
04-06-2008, 05:13 AM
Yes it was.

Wow, some people just don't get the whole size perspective thing do they. Yellow Tail Damsels??? Dory??? Yikes. How do you mistake a Blue Hippo Tang for a Yellow Tail Damsel??? I guess it's not too hard when you're not around the hobby that much.

Or if you're 4, lol.

snapdragon9
04-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Being a saltwater newbie myself...well aclimating a freshwater tank with all brackish inhabitance all the way up to 1.025 requires patience...I've added some pearly headed jawfish, and they are awesome...and pretty easy to keep for newbies, (I mean: so far so good!!)