PDA

View Full Version : Beep you, Neon Tetra Disease

travie
04-05-2008, 04:43 AM
Sorry for the harsh beep, but it helped me get out my feelings on NTD. I think several of my Neons have the disease. I didn't make a confirmation diagnoses, but I don't know what else it could be. It has also infected more then one. This disease really makes me not want to have Neons anymore. I really just needed to vent.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-05-2008, 04:46 AM
Just be aware that your Black Neons are at risk as well. All characins can catch that disease., it's not restriced to just P. innensi

Lady Hobbs
04-05-2008, 04:53 AM
Neons are pretty sensitive to water conditions. Are you sure it couldn't be something other than neon tetra disease? Strange how cardinals are not affected with it and perhaps that might be a better way to go?

travie
04-05-2008, 05:00 AM
I'll have to go the cardinal route if/when all my neons go. I don't plan to get more once, they pass on. At the moment, I can't look, since the lights are off. But I will try to describe. Certain ones have spots of a brownish color breaking up the red and blue stripes. Best I can describe without looking at the moment.

cocoa_pleco
04-05-2008, 05:02 AM
doesnt sound good, remember if any other fish peck at a infected neon they can get the disease too. only cardinals are immune to it

travie
04-05-2008, 05:06 AM
Can guppies and cories get it?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-05-2008, 05:18 AM
Nope they can't. It is restricted to the Characin family. The only exception in the family is what the others above mentioned; cardinals.

travie
04-05-2008, 05:22 AM
That makes me feel slightly better. Thank you all.

PUNISHER VETTE
04-05-2008, 04:36 PM
I lost all 15 of my neons in my 30g which were my only fish.... LFS said they'd replace them for free since i had just gotten a few from then not long before the symptoms showed up and wiped them all out.

Pr0eve
04-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Neons are pretty sensitive to water conditions. Are you sure it couldn't be something other than neon tetra disease? Strange how cardinals are not affected with it and perhaps that might be a better way to go?

Cardinal can not get NTD. and this is why I do not get neons any more... Neons are such a weak fish any more there do not seem to be worth buying, and that is a shame.

PUNISHER VETTE
04-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Cardinal can not get NTD. and this is why I do not get neons any more... Neons are such a weak fish any more there do not seem to be worth buying, and that is a shame.

Thats what i'm about to do. The neons i have bought just die and die and it's nothing i'm doing i think. I just got the free ones the LFS said i could get but i went ahead and got the larger kind so maybe these will be a bit more hardy.

If they don't work i'm going to try the cardinals. Anyone know if Cardinals school with neons?

SunshineTK
04-06-2008, 01:32 PM
I recently read that cardinals WILL school with neons (and the article said that was the only cross species schooling the author had observed).

Sorry about your bad experience with them. We've had great luck with them and they are a beautiful addition to the tank!!

Pr0eve
04-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Thats what i'm about to do. The neons i have bought just die and die and it's nothing i'm doing i think. I just got the free ones the LFS said i could get but i went ahead and got the larger kind so maybe these will be a bit more hardy.

If they don't work i'm going to try the cardinals. Anyone know if Cardinals school with neons?

I have one neon left from a batch I had got a while back, and it school with my 6 Cardinals, so I would have to say yes, they will school.

hpt84
04-08-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm sorry for your lost. I don't know why you aren't successful with the neon. I love them very much.