PDA

View Full Version : hello

paulie
11-02-2006, 03:04 PM
I just wanted to say that this site is great and hopefully I will learn things I need to know from here and at the same time meet some great people:19:
Ok WELL, my name is Paulie and my wifes name is Bonnie I have three lovely children two boys one girl. I have a dog, cat, bunny, and a 27 Gal. Hex (My Wifes Tank) I guess it is simple cute fish nothing really agressive; a pair of sordfish, a Blue Gourami(who is almost 4 yrs old), two tetra's, and six goldfish I also have a 20 Gal. tank.
This one we are really just getting started it's only been up for almost three weeks. I have a Cat-Fish (that I caught in a brook at the campsite we go to every year), a Jack Dempsy , two shiners, and some feeder goldfish. I want more in this tank but my catfish is agressive.

Severus
11-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Your tanks are overstocked. Remember that those fish are small now(im assuming) and once they grow a little bit will be way to big for either of those tanks. Make sure that catfish you caught isnt indangered or illegal to keep for some reason.. There are very knowledgeable and nice people here. Welcome to AC

paulie
11-02-2006, 08:06 PM
Thank u for the advice.i started a new tank yesterday and i put my two sword tails in there its a 10gal and i also put two gold fish in there so that is four fish gone out of the hex tank. I do have a few questions u said to make sure that my catfish is not indangered or illegal how do I know? I also want to know if I can put my jack dempsy in with my blue three spot gourami and is the jack dempsy is safe with the cat fish? Thank u for ur time
paulie

Lady Hobbs
11-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Fish you catch in the wild are not suitable for tropical keeping. They have different water requirement and it probably won't live. Goldfish are also cold water fish and tropicals are warm water and are not to be mixed. Six goldfish in a tank is way too many. They can get very large.

You need to read up more on fish and find what goes with what, the water requirements they require and what is compatible. And what size they will get when they are grown.

The mistakes you are making are normal mistakes that many beginners make so don't worry about it. You'll get it all figured out and this site will help you a lot.

On the left, the site manager has things that are good to read and the e-book there is an interesting read. It will help you get started and prevent further errors.

Welcome!

Severus
11-02-2006, 11:15 PM
I actually have a 6" JD in with a 4.5" blue gourami and they get along awesome, they hang out together and there has never been any aggression issues. If you do want to try that do it while they are young, it will be much easier. Glad to hear you got another tank as well, you will learn a lot here