PDA

View Full Version : Vortex filters?

Lady Hobbs
11-02-2006, 01:09 PM
Has anyone here used the Vortex filters? I have a friend who had many tanks and swears by them. They do a weekly "polishing" and are said to keep tanks very pristene. Comments if you've had them would be appreciated.

turbomkt
11-07-2006, 05:42 PM
It's kind of nice to have that polishing action. They do well to clean up green water algae (but it won't fix the problem).

Another option is a HOT Magnum 350 that can be used as a diatom filter like the Vortex or with its micron filter.

Lady Hobbs
11-07-2006, 09:31 PM
The Vortex sounds kinda complicated to use but it's nice that it can be moved from one tank to the other.

Fishguy2727
11-07-2006, 10:19 PM
For polishing I just cram in as much filter floss as I can in at least one of the trays in the Fluvals, no need for a whole new filter.

turbomkt
11-08-2006, 05:10 AM
I don't touch my filters for months (nothing but bio and mechanical filtration). Having a diatom/micron filter to polish the water after water changes or before pictures would be quite nice. Then consider that I've spent more than twice the cost of a Vortex or HOT Magnum 350 for my other cannisters, and it's not a major issue.

Finally point is I wouldn't have to pay anyway. I use store credit from plant clippings and breeding to pay for most of my hardware (other than Eheim filters).