PDA

View Full Version : Emmersed Anubias

Lady Hobbs
04-04-2008, 07:34 PM
This works! I've been wanting to try my Anubias emmersed as I read they grow faster and bigger emmersed. I don't want to empty a tank to try it so today I took a wire, put it across the top of my tank and have my Anubias attached to it.......roots in the water and leaves out.

Gonna give it a try. Thinking also of trying to use something that I can just cut holes in and stick the roots into that and allow it to just float on top the water. Idea?

siymdapolio
04-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Nice Lady Hobbs! you need to post pics and tell me how that goes I LOVE ANUBIAS!!!! that sounds awesome

siymdapolio
04-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Hmmm that sounds like a great idea but would have no idea what I would poke holes into. What I would do would not poke holes into the plastic or something but have a Cross for the plant to sit on.. This would allow the roots to fall better.

Unless I am totally thinking about something else that is what i would do

country_boy454
04-04-2008, 09:42 PM
I was thinking of doing this exact thing. When I get a few more leaves on my anubias I was going to split it up into two plants and grow one immersed and one submersed.

fins_n_fur
04-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Gonna give it a try. Thinking also of trying to use something that I can just cut holes in and stick the roots into that and allow it to just float on top the water. Idea?

Call me a nutjob, but what about chicken wire across the top of the tank--Maybe a bad idea, but it's Friday and had a loooonnnnggg week :laugh1blue: . You may have to attach the plants to it, but I can't think of anything that you could poke holes in...

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Great idea Hobbs. Just be aware that if you ever do decide to submerse them again you will likely lose all the emersed leaves you had. Plants that can grow submersed or emersed have 2 different kinds of leaves for their given environment.
I like the wire ideal. Not sure what you could try for floating. Have you considered getting a piece of driftwood that is tall enough to attach the anubia to it and have the leaves out of the water.

Wild Turkey
04-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Seems lile the tact ur taking is the hydroponic route, get strawberry baskets(from the supermarket) and fill them with marbles and the roots will grow down and around the marbles, also put the baskets in a place where the current is strongest, in a fish tank that would probably mean near the filter. Anything like the baskets + marbles will work, if you have the money u can buy stuff thats made for it at the hardware store, but its basically the same idea just costs more. Really the "best" thing to do would be use two power heads to cycle the water in and out and make a Shoot out of a rectangular plastic box so the water rushes through it, put it next to ur tank and then put the baskets in there. Hope that helps:19:

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-04-2008, 10:20 PM
May want to move the thread to the Rhizome forum Hobbs. :)

Great ideas there turkey but I suspect Hobbs would rather a but more natural look.

Lady Hobbs
04-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Hard to think of something right now that won't block the light to plants below. It almost has to be something to lay across the tank brace at the front with the plant lights behind. Seems like just a rigid piece of plastic would work but not something as rigid as plexiglass. I will see what I can think.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-04-2008, 10:26 PM
A couple pieces of fishing line may work. You could run 2 of them the length of the tank and then set the Rhizome crossways on them.

Lady Hobbs
04-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Ya think? LOL Been moving threads all week and thought moving one of my own would be fun. LOLOL Thanks, GB.

Wild Turkey
04-04-2008, 11:22 PM
May want to move the thread to the Rhizome forum Hobbs. :)

Great ideas there turkey but I suspect Hobbs would rather a but more natural look.

Oh i wasnt sure if she was trying to grow them fast for other tanks thats kinda what i was thinking when i read the post lol but yea that method will make plants grow reeeeally fast. And i guess if you had a seperate system you could add chemicals to enchance growth as well and then waterchange ur irrigation system a few times a few days before removing the plants, since they arent taking much water with them? Dont quote me on that one though. i dont want anyone to hurt thier fish, that would require some more research.

Lady Hobbs
04-04-2008, 11:26 PM
I should just plant my 10 gallon with only a bit of water and start a bunch of them there but I have no light for it and refuse to put money into a 10 gallon!