PDA

View Full Version : damn angelfish are so fickle...

plow
04-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Ok, I have two wild type angels that seemed perfectly healthy.. however one has outgrown the other significantly.. the smaller one was at one stage the bigger of the two. Neither are close to fully grown, they must be 5 to 6 months old.

The one that is small I suspect has something wrong with it, it hasn't grown, its losing the red streak in its eyes, its skinny and the thing that is worrying me is that it just spits out any food it attempts to eat.

Each meal time it races around the tank looking at the food (flakes, NLS, etc) and while the other one eats up a storm this one takes a bite, and spits it out. It never used to do this. I dont think it is getting any food at all, especially when you compare the massive difference in growing rates. Ive had them both about 4 months.

The tank is 30 gal, possibly a bit crowded, with 10 cardnials, two very young and small clown loaches and 3 oto cats. I have loads of live plants, and driftwood, sand substrate.

I change water once a fortnight, about 50%, pH around 8.

No ammonia, no nitrites, nitrates less than 10 with regular water changes and such a small bioload.

It must be a sickness of some type, and im losing interest rapidly with angels, they are so fickle, they seem to be the first to go, in fact the only ones that go at my house.

Any clues?

Lady Hobbs
04-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Angels always eat like that. Pieces that are still dry get blown out. Have you watched for parasites which would show as white poo? Males are much smaller than females, too. Keep up with those water changes, too. Angels do like clean water.

siymdapolio
04-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Angels always eat like that. Pieces that are still dry get blown out. Have you watched for parasites which would show as white poo? Males are much smaller than females, too. Keep up with those water changes, too. Angels do like clean water.
I agree with LAdy hobbs here. I have two angels and they are doing great and one is quit smaller and the other is fatter but the smaller guy is much fitter then the lazy one lol

Maybe try to some live baby brine shrimp they looooovveee them!!!

plow
04-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Angels always eat like that. Pieces that are still dry get blown out.

well I would beleive that except that one angel that has grown like mad eats everything in sight, and swallows everything at once..

the angel that isn't growing will try eating about two or three bits, and blow it ALL back out. None of it seems to get swallowed

I've been watching him closely, I dont reckon she is getting anything.

I would be ok with it if it wasn't for the enormous difference in the two fish that were once equals. One eats until its belly is bulgning, the other doesn't eat and is a skinny little runt.

Now, the one that has grown the most, according to everyone here is a male. The one that is seemingly smaller than 2 months ago is a female.. the photos were shown a couple of months ago in this thread.. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=15862

I am suspecting it is parasites, I haven't seen any white poo though.. from this fish I haven't seen any poo at all. It wont swallow anything.

I'll keep a look out..

plow
04-04-2008, 08:44 PM
I agree with LAdy hobbs here. I have two angels and they are doing great and one is quit smaller and the other is fatter but the smaller guy is much fitter then the lazy one lol

Maybe try to some live baby brine shrimp they looooovveee them!!!

I gave them some mosquito larvae the other day, he wouldn't eat that either..

I am seriously wondering about this mosquito larvae.. could the parasites be coming from there? I have only ever had problems in the one fish tank of the two I have, the other is a mbuna tank so does not get any "frozen meats" this 30 gal I have gets frozen mosquito larvae once a week.

I reckon I'll stop using it actually, when I think about it the co-oincidence seems too great. Its the only thing that really differs with how I look after my tanks.

fins_n_fur
04-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Strange...are the mosquite larvae frozen or fresh? If frozen, I don't think it's parasites. How are often do you feed the larvae? Have you tried soaking/mixing some food in mashed garlic? That might encourage eating and the garlic is good for the fish, especially if you suspect parasites. You might also try doing a 50% water change once a week instead every two. Just my 2 euro cents. Don't give up yet!

plow
04-05-2008, 08:33 AM
[QUOTE=fins_n_fur]Strange...are the mosquite larvae frozen or fresh? If frozen, I don't think it's parasites.QUOTE]

frozen and I feed them once a week.