PDA

View Full Version : Fire mouths

BillyVille
04-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Can you put fire mouths and rams in the same tank? How big do they get? Anyone got pics of them?

travie
04-04-2008, 03:52 PM
I personally wouldn't attempt it. And I know barely anything on Firemouths.

Nick89
04-04-2008, 03:56 PM
firemouths get bigger than rams by a few inches. I wouldnt, as firemouths can be aggressive.

Lady Hobbs
04-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Firemouths get 6 inches and sometimes a bit larger. Like many cichlids, should have plenty of room and hiding spaces. They are more aggressive with each other than other species but will get very aggressive during spawning. I think with Rams, I'd stick to other small dwarf cichlids like kribs and keyholes and leave the Firemouths out.

Nick89
04-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Yeah.. But each cichlid is different. I mean right now my oscar is getting along with my firemouth. It really depends on the fish, but you can help the aggression by adding like hobbs said hiding spots, like ceramic pots, slate caves. You could use pvc pipe, fittings for them to go in. But rams dont get much bigger than 2-3" i believe. You should always get a fish similiar sized, and with similiar aggression mainly with cichlids.

Lady Hobbs
04-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Tank size depends on everything. Are we talking a 20 gallon here or a 55 gallon? A fish, no matter what kind, that gets 6 inches doesn't belong in smaller tanks.

jbeining75
04-04-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm on Hobbs side here too.... I think the firemouth is going to be far to aggressive especially with him being almost twice the size of the others. Firemouths will get 6-7 inches with most dwarfs stopping at 3-4. You would need alot of hiding places that only the dwarfs could fit into. Personally I wouldn't try it.

Nick89
04-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Tank size depends on everything. Are we talking a 20 gallon here or a 55 gallon? A fish, no matter what kind, that gets 6 inches doesn't belong in smaller tanks.

Guess i was wrong again..... sorry, ill try not to help. But anyways good luck on the new fish, Billyville.

angelcakes
04-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Guess i was wrong again..... sorry, ill try not to help. But anyways good luck on the new fish, Billyville.
i think your info was good considering i dont know anything about firemouths but im learning to understand about them:19:

Traithan
04-05-2008, 02:22 AM
In my expierence Firemouths are all show and seldom actually carry out their actions. Probably ok make sure you have a cave just in case for the Firemouth. I keep 5 and 4 inch Firemouths with 1 1/2 Keyholes and 2" Frontosa's all depends on your Monarchy i guess.

nanaglen2001
04-06-2008, 05:16 AM
I gozt some exiled Kribensis in my Firmouth/T-bar tank.

Neither the Firemouths nor the T-bars are in any way interested in the Kribs. They absolutely ignore each other.

Given enough space and good hiding places in form of plants, roots and rocks....it could work.

Its not a perfect match, but why not.

GaboAdv
05-07-2008, 04:00 PM
I have a 3 1/2in. Male Firemouth(who terrorizes my Large Angels which i am selling this week) with a German Blue Ram ... they(FM & GBR) get along so well they even swim together a lot of times...

PS: my tank is a 37Gal with lots of hiding places