PDA

View Full Version : Another Algae question..and the mystery algae eater

fishrule
04-04-2008, 05:53 AM
Well ive got a little algie issue.. nothing to abnormal. Just your typical algae on the glass and some accumulating on the ground. I went and got my water tested today and everything is goign pretty good. I belive my tank has cycled through. My plants seem to be doing better. I also have a little algae on the plants. I picked up a few algae eaters today but I just dont think they are going to put a dent in whats in there for soem reason lol. I bought some chinese algae eaters. They seem pretty feisty for how small they are. I bought 3 of those and one other small agae eater im not sure what it is.. Im wondering if its an Oto cat. Does anyone have any good ideas on what sort of algae eaters would do real well to eat this stuff up to save some cleaning? I have a 75 gallon tank what would be a good number of them? Could someone post up a picture of an Oto cat, i will try and get a picture of the other algae eater to see if anyone can figure it out.

Ok these are the best pics I could get.. im no photographer and dont know how to adjust the camera lol.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u62/slow5000/DSC01004.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u62/slow5000/DSC01010.jpg

cocoa_pleco
04-04-2008, 05:59 AM
heres what a otto looks like, not my pic though

theres no fish that will completely eat all of the algae, ottos and some plecos can help though

Wild Turkey
04-04-2008, 06:02 AM
double posted stupid lag...

Wild Turkey
04-04-2008, 06:02 AM
http://www.cmnaquatics.com/otocats.jpg they kinda look like they have a "duh, which way did he go george?" expression on their face

fishrule
04-04-2008, 06:07 AM
those oto cats look very simular to the chinese algae eaters.

cocoa_pleco
04-04-2008, 06:15 AM
yeah, they actually do! im not a expert on ottos though, i do know there are many variations of them

a little of topic, but are those tetras in the top pic dyed, or is that just red from the camera?

Wild Turkey
04-04-2008, 06:15 AM
They look like plecos but im not the guy to ask, bet cocoa or barb will know. Btw are those dyed fish in the first pic? :(

Wild Turkey
04-04-2008, 06:23 AM
yeah, they actually do! im not a expert on ottos though, i do know there are many variations of them

a little of topic, but are those tetras in the top pic dyed, or is that just red from the camera?

Im 99% sure those fish are the product of injections, i say 99% cuz i dont know every species of fish, thats why i asked that Q too. Ive seen injected fish before alot and they look almost excatly like that, sometimes with blue or green though

Wild Turkey
04-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Like these.....http://www.petpig.com/fish/fish/Glass-Fish.jpg

and these...http://www.kara-inci.nl/painted_glass_fish1.jpg

never ever buy these fish, by all means im not suggesting you kill them or give them away or anything, but in the future never buy these, as the more you buy the more the dye. Painted glass tetras are the most commonly injected species i see at petstores, almost ever one has them. If you bought these fish recently i would try to return them and if they give you any s**t raise hell about the fact they didnt tell you these fish were dyed and that it can seriously effect their health/happiness and lifespan.

Mvjnz
04-04-2008, 01:19 PM
chinese algae eaters have a terrible reputation. I've never heard anything good about them. Typically, I hear how aggressive they are and how they suck onto other fish and kill them.

You need more than one otto, they need to be at least 5 to feel safe and be happy.

I would suggest a bristlenose catfish, mystery snail, or some shrimp. Neither of them get very big, and none of them are aggressive.

siymdapolio
04-04-2008, 05:44 PM
chinese algae eaters have a terrible reputation. I've never heard anything good about them. Typically, I hear how aggressive they are and how they suck onto other fish and kill them.

You need more than one otto, they need to be at least 5 to feel safe and be happy.

I would suggest a bristlenose catfish, mystery snail, or some shrimp. Neither of them get very big, and none of them are aggressive.
Totally agree mvjnz hes right. The chinese algae eater willget super agressive as it grows and gets older. He will harass tank buddies constatly!!!

I would recommned Bristlenoses!They will work till its gone and i promise! one bristlenose can keep 55 gallon tank of algea at bay! My guy does not ahve enough so i have to feed him a lot. I introduced old fake plants and he had tons of Black bear algea or this type black lacy algae.... I freaked and was running some hot water and going to wash it off with bleach but then i came back and my bristlnose was upside GOING TO TOWN ON THIS SHIT and my plant is as clean as it has ever been!!

Good luck:thumb:

fishrule
04-04-2008, 07:02 PM
The one I hve is definately not an oto, the people the pet store are just not very smart at all and dont even know how much stuff costs. My girlfriend really liked the pink fish, i had no idea they were "died" im not sure what to do with them. Im kinda regreting getting the chinese algae eaters now.. they were cheap and I had algae. :(

garman
04-10-2008, 03:15 AM
I think it's an Otto. They have the ability to stick to glass as if they had a suction cup on their undersides.

I like snails though they are known to eat tender plants. I have mainly anubias, java moss and fern, and sword, and I don't have a problem. The ramhorn snails clean brown algae quite nicely IMO.

Didn't see the posts on the last page. Not an Otto? Looks like a stream darter too. I love those cute little things. They're very fun to watch as they hop around and sit on rocks and things.